Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tenacity on Dormant Grass

Post by mobiledynamics » July 13th, 2020, 8:49 am

The Hellstrip is Dormant....

Ive been handpulling anything I see. Is it okay to spot spray Tenacity if the patch is primarily dormant and I'm just spot spraying stuff I see ?

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » July 13th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I kind of had to decide this a few weeks ago....

Is the he’ll strip in the shade, or direct sun?
If in the full sun, the poA-a will probably be the first to show signs of heat stress, then you can just pull it.

Are you planning on reseeding the area in the fall?
Not sure if the tenacity might stick around and prevent germination while it’s still in the soil.

There was a Study that gets touted on here a lot that says that you can get very good control in
July when the poa-a is hurting in the summer. The only problem is that frequent tenacity apps at the 3oz rate every 2-4 days will also fry the good grass, and it might take a while for it to recover in 80+ deg weather. The lawns top growth slows down in the summer.

I almost decided to do it in my lawn, but decided against it. Hand pulling the seed heads that come up, is a lot less stressful than toasting the good grass in the middle of the summer. I’m sure the above works well for a sod farm or golf course but could be less than desirable for a smaller area where Hand pulling is an option.

So you can spot spray. But don’t expect quick recovery from the grass your trying to save.

mobiledynamics
Grass Type: KBG / going to try TTF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Tenacity on Dormant Grass

Post by mobiledynamics » July 13th, 2020, 4:22 pm

Hell strip is about 75 dormant with whatever green slowing dormant as the days/weeks go by. The skies have opened up sparingly and we did get some irrigation for what seems to be none for a few weeks...

I just wasn't quite sure would it hurt the dormant grass permanently or as I have seen tenacity, even in young blades, just white them up for a bit......before they recover and resume growth.