Fescue Lawn Care | Northern VA

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fescue Lawn Care | Northern VA

Post by schreibdave » July 18th, 2020, 9:43 am

It's always possible that there is more than one thing going on. But there is consensus that you have a fungus. Maybe it will resolve itself and maybe it wont. Treating the fungus will cost a few dollars and take some time but it wont hurt anything. Not treating it might turn out fine, or you could end up with dead patches or you could lose the entire 600 sqft. it's really your call. Personally I would treat it for fungus.

Raking the lawn may result in spreading the disease to previously uninfected areas.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 18th, 2020, 10:02 am

Treating the fungus will cost a few dollars and take some time but it wont hurt anything.
While I am not advocating letting an active fungal infection ravage the lawn, I think that the "it won't hurt anything" is stretching the truth somewhat - there is a balance here that needs to be factored into consideration. Broad-Spectrum fungicides kill lots of fungi, and the beneficial fungi that keep many processes working take a hit too. It's not like each microscopic fungus is marked with a sign that says "I'm good fungi - don't kill me". Broad Spectrum is broad-spectrum, and the good take a beating with the bad, just as the beneficial microbes in your gut take a beating when you use an antibiotic.

vangaal
Grass Type: Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by vangaal » July 18th, 2020, 1:31 pm

Thanks all. I bought some Disease Ex, so will likely give that a try. Here are a few more pictures from the heat wave:

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 18th, 2020, 8:09 pm

vangaal wrote:
July 18th, 2020, 1:31 pm
Thanks all. I bought some Disease Ex, so will likely give that a try. Here are a few more pictures from the heat wave:

You will need a follow up application. You want to rotate groups of fungicides to avoid resistance. DiseaseEx contains azoxystrobin. I would follow up with Bayer fungus control which has propiconazole in 14 days.

That should stop it from keeping going and avoid more grass blades getting lesions. That should get you to late August when you can overseed the TTTF to repair the damage.

Don’t serially apply fungicides and definitely don’t serially apply the same group of fungicides.

Curing active disease is not a one and done.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » July 20th, 2020, 11:54 am

^^^What he said. :-)

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » July 21st, 2020, 8:25 am

FYI - azoxystrobin won't do anything for dollar spot, great for brown patch though. Use propiconazole for dollar spot, you can apply both at same time if unsure what you have. There are a few fungicides that have both azoxystrobin and propiconazole mixed.