new fescue mix sod

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

new fescue mix sod

Post by edslawn » July 15th, 2020, 7:38 pm

I've been offline for awhile as we dealt with covid and major renovation of our kitchen and back yard. The good news is that we have our house back and the yard looks great. Given the time of year, I elected to have them put down a fescue mix sod.

I've been working on a long term soil conditioning plan and the front yard is looking great. The back yard is a mix of my top soil and new stuff.

The contractor is just saying to water the sod regularly (twice a day) but nothing more specific. I'm thinking less frequent, deep watering, but not sure that is best for sod. I'm also thinking of adding a serenade treatment for fungus and maybe some milo initially.

What do you think about watering approach and other treatments?

Thanks guys...

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: new fescue mix sod

Post by schreibdave » July 16th, 2020, 7:53 pm

I think it's really hard to give an answer with # of times a day and for how long because there are so many variables. But I would think that you want to soak the soil down past whatever depth your roots are at. I think you want to encourage those roots to go deep. I guess the only way to know whether you are doing that is by lifting up a corner of sod every once in a while and checking the depth of your moisture. Other things I would look for is puddling or mushy spots (too much water) and signs of drought stress - a bluish tint, grass that doesn't bounce back when walked on, etc.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 17th, 2020, 11:45 am

They do try to give you a basic watering plan, but it would be better to give you a basic moisture plan.

Keep the sod damp. Not wet, not soaking, not dry, not squishy. Damp. For about two to three weeks, although it can be more in hot weather like July, until it roots fully. Grass doesn't grow or root much in weather where the soil temperature is warm.

That can mean sunny, high well-draining areas need water twice a day. Low areas need water once every three days. It just depends. Stick a finger into the sod to see if it's moist. If it squishes, back off on the water. If your finger comes back wet, back off. If it seems moist, great. If it seems dry, water more. If the sod starts to brown, it needs way more water than it's getting, and start watering more at the first sign of any browning (also, post photos and ask).

Otherwise, hands off the sod. In three weeks or so, lift an edge. If it's thoroughly bound to the soil, great. Start backing off the watering. Twice a day can go to every other day for two days. Every third day can go immediately to once a week (and stay there permanently). Hold all this for two weeks, then every other day watering can go to every third day for two weeks. And so on until you hit weekly watering (or whatever your grass will allow--young grass usually won't go to weekly watering).

Feed normally on Labor Day, it'll be old enough by that point.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by edslawn » July 17th, 2020, 3:04 pm

very helpful... Thanks Morpheus!