CCO not working on smooth crabgrass?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

CCO not working on smooth crabgrass?

Post by pristinegreen75 » July 16th, 2020, 4:29 pm

I'm a little perplexed. I had a big explosion of smooth crabgrass couple of weeks ago. I hit it with CCO 4 days ago along with some oxalis. It is basically in a rock border around the gardens. It is doing a great job on the oxalis but has not put a dent in the crabgrass. I mixed it at label rate 1oz per gallon in a tank sprayer. (spot spraying) Since I can't put another app down for 2-3 weeks that would put me into mid August. I'm thinking maybe I should just live with the ugliness until it dies off in Sept. Hate to waste the CCO. Would the Crabgrass resist absorbing it with all the heat we have had? Any ideas why it wouldn't work? Quick shout out. I had KBG sod put in middle of last June and thanks to everyone here it made it through the summer. It's going really well this year. HOC is 4" and still have to cut every 3-4 days even wit no BSF since middle of June! Thanks to everyone!!!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: CCO not working on smooth crabgrass?

Post by andy10917 » July 16th, 2020, 6:00 pm

Ooh! Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!
Any ideas why it wouldn't work?
I'm going to go out with a crazy idea: the label for CCO never claimed that it would work on Smooth Crabgrass.

CCO is Triclopyr, a broadleaf weed killer. Crabgrass is a grass, and broadleaf weed killers don't work on grasses.

Who told you that would work on Crabgrass?

The one thing as a post-emergent herbicide that will kill Crabgrass is Quinclorac, but mature Crabgrass makes even a kill with Quinclorac a tough sell.

Crabgrass is best controlled with a PRE-emergent application when the Forsythia bloom in Spring.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » July 17th, 2020, 10:09 am

Thanks Andy- What a bonehead I am! Just realized I grabbed the wrong bottle. Since they both say Weed B Gone I must have just absent mindedly picked up the CCO. Arrrrggghhh!!! I had all the herbicides put away since middle of June so I should of just left them alone. With the heat wave coming next week I don't want to waste anymore chemicals so I will live with the ugliness until it meets its demise this fall.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » July 18th, 2020, 9:43 am

For me Drive XLR8 (quinclorac 18.92%) + MSO smokes crabgrass.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 18th, 2020, 10:08 am

Totally agree, but there are many other generics of Drive Quinclorac that are cheaper than the brand name - and worked equally well. Absolutely believe that with Quinclorac there is a performance difference between using MSO (Methylated Seed Oil) and standard surfactants.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » July 18th, 2020, 2:24 pm

Yes quinclorac absolutely needs mso or won't work as well. I believe this is actually stated on some labels.

pristinegreen75

Post by pristinegreen75 » July 18th, 2020, 6:34 pm

Quick side note guys-thanks to all for replies. I figured out what I did. For whatever reason I had CCO in my brain for Crabgrass. I just joined in March this year(no excuse) and have been absorbing a lot of info. I know triclopyr is the 2nd part of the triangle method. Duh...thats why it was doing a good job on the wood sorrel not the Crabgrass. I knew that but this pea size brain of mine doesn't work well sometimes. Should have reviewed the triangle method first. Oh yea, WBG has the word "CRABGRASS" written on the front label. Stupid, stupid, stupid! I'll try not to post anymore dumb questions..I know you guys are quite busy. Andy....sarcasm was well deserved and well taken with a chuckle (laughing at myself). sorry guys

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 18th, 2020, 7:07 pm

No need to beat yourself up! After having done two tough soil tests, I bumped into yours awaiting moderator approval and said to myself "Well here's one that I can do in two minutes!". Hence the pick me, pick me stuff.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 19th, 2020, 8:06 pm

If crabgrass is Super mature Quinclorac is not bullet proof.

andy10917

Post by andy10917 » July 19th, 2020, 9:04 pm

Agree! Hence the comment above
The one thing as a post-emergent herbicide that will kill Crabgrass is Quinclorac, but mature Crabgrass makes even a kill with Quinclorac a tough sell.