Bonehead move

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Bonehead move

Post by BIGDADDY13 » July 27th, 2020, 4:37 pm

I made my first MAJOR bonehead move using my sprayer. in early june Everything was going great early in the season and I decided it was time to spray Roundup on some areas of my property where we have stone, etc (along our driveway). Got distracted and went back to my shed to get the Triclopyr to spray some weeds in my front yard. You guessed it. Forgot that I had Roundup in the tank and grabbed it and started spraying. Before I knew it, it was a 20X30 ft patch that was treated. Once I realized it, it was too late. I quietly prayed it wouldn't absolutely kill everything off. Guess again...

Well I spent this weekend out there raking up my dead grass (it did do a magnificent job killing the weeds too....). Plan on reseeding and getting it established again. The crazy part is I forgot so quickly... Either way, it is a good time to get it right and give me an excuse to redo an area that has been by far, the worst of my yard...

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Bonehead move

Post by andy10917 » July 27th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Ugh! There is nothing more that I can think of to say. I read down to the point where the Round-Up was mentioned and froze. I knew what was coming.

jskierko
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by jskierko » July 27th, 2020, 6:23 pm

Designated Glyphosate Sprayer... sharpie, tape, etc, anything to draw attention to it and mark it as single product use. 20 bucks can get you a cheap 1 gallon and a hose end sprayer. I know mistakes can still happen, but too much of a chance of residuals left in the tank if you are using Round-Up in a sprayer you use regularly.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » July 27th, 2020, 10:16 pm

I use a Sharpie on mine. Wide nib. Black on white plastic. "ROUND UP" Both sides.

I refrained from writing "YOU IDIOT" below that, but I really should.

The TENACITY sprayer is similarly marked. The third sprayer does multiple duties, and currently has masking tape on it with "Tabasco" writ upon it. It keeps the rabbits off the garden.

I also wrote "LYE" on my lye pitcher and drew a cute little skull and crossbones underneath it to signify instant death to anybody who drinks it. Fun story...one fellow whose wife mixed hers in glass picked up said glass and quaffed it down.

Oh, sorry, that's not so fun. He died. Don't do that kind of thing in unmarked containers. People have nearly died by accidentally drinking hairdressers' peroxide.

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by PSU4ME » July 28th, 2020, 7:34 am

Sorry to hear that! I’m also in the camp of specific sprayers for those rather unfriendly type sprays.

With all the spraying we do, a mistake like this is bound to happen. Chin up!

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 28th, 2020, 7:36 am

Like others, I have a dedicated sprayer for RU. Even still I flush it out after ever use and dump the rinsate in a safe area and not anywhere near the grass

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Level: Experienced

Post by schreibdave » July 29th, 2020, 10:14 pm

My wife ventured into the garage today and looked around (this is unusual) and commented on my 5 sprayers with labels on them. I mentioned that she had 7 different frying pans even though we have a 4 burner stove. That was the end of that conversation.

As others have said: dedicated sprayer for each product with the name written on it.

Last I saw HD had 1 gallon sprayers for $10. They work fine.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » July 30th, 2020, 1:56 am

BTDTGTTS

jskierko
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by jskierko » July 30th, 2020, 7:00 am

bpgreen wrote:
July 30th, 2020, 1:56 am
BTDTGTTS
Been There, Done That, Got The T-Shirt.... for those of you that are not acronym savvy, saving you a Google search like I had to do.