Let it go dormant?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Let it go dormant?

Post by Lawndog » July 28th, 2020, 2:25 pm

This constant heat wave out east here is putting a damper on the lawns around the area. I've decided to let the back go for now without watering. I've still been irrigating the front to keep it out of dormancy. what's everyone doing with this heat? Temps here the Last couple days have been 98 plus. Way too hot for KBG.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Let it go dormant?

Post by MorpheusPA » July 28th, 2020, 2:54 pm

I do. If it's after the Fourth of July and it starts to go, down it goes. For anybody north of the Pennsylvania-Maryland border, it's usually not going to be a problem.

Just make sure it gets a quarter inch of water or so every 2 weeks to keep the roots happy. Thunderstorms or occasional rainfall should easily supply that.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by KBGkicksazz » July 28th, 2020, 6:19 pm

You have to either commit to the watering to keep it green or if not then dormancy it is. No magic potion with cool season grass and consistent 85+ weather.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » July 28th, 2020, 10:07 pm

One thing to consider is that the lawn just doesn’t wake up and hit mid June level in the fall. I pushed the limits of watering last year, and it wasn’t until mid June that the lawn took off again. Every fall is getting hotter and hotter, I saw some kbg come back in September but it was a slow process, I won’t be doing that again.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 28th, 2020, 10:38 pm

I generally don't let mine go dormant, but I try to gently wake it beginning around August 15th with Milorganite, BSF or equivalent. Then it's ready for the Fall Nitrogen Regimen(s) come Labor Day. That can't be done without water, and the whole season gets pushed later and later. I don't like the way things wake up without real, regular watering.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » August 2nd, 2020, 12:17 am

I mow long starting in June, shampoo my lawn a few times a year, fertilize, never irrigate (even when using urea) & I cant remember the last time my mostly KBG lawn went dormant.