What are these dead spots?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

What are these dead spots?

Post by schreibdave » August 1st, 2020, 5:01 pm

I seem to have two kinds. They look the same from above but when u pull on the dead blades u get two different results. The first kind is dead on top but seems to have some green down below and the blades are firmly rooted. The second type of spot looks identical but the blades pull right up. They appear to have been sawed off at soil height. Maybe the second type of spot is just the progression from the first? If i leave the spots alone the kbg will eventually fill them in. The PR needed to be reseeded. I had these spots in the spring and last fall and they filled in.

I also only get them in areas that my dog can access. But the dog does her business many times a day, every day and i only get 2 or 3 of these spots at a time.

In picture 1 you see some green down low
In picture 2 i have easily pulled the dead blades up
In picture 3 you can see what the spot looks like from above.

Any ideas?

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Level: Some Experience

Re: What are these dead spots?

Post by spectrum1c » August 6th, 2020, 8:47 am

Could it be a dog urine patch? Looks kinda small for something like brown patch

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody
Level: Experienced

Re: What are these dead spots?

Post by schreibdave » August 7th, 2020, 6:51 am

It could be a dog urine spot. I have a dog and it doesn't occur in areas that she can't get to. But it is inconsistent. The areas where she goes most often are fine but these other areas where she might go less frequently get the spots. Plus her diet is very consistent so I would think her urine's chemical composition would be consistent.

The spots almost look like burn spots from my old riding mower's exhaust. If I idled in one spot too long the grass under the exhaust would brown but not die. But that mower is gone and my walk behind mower exhausts to the side.

Yesterday I discovered my first spots of triv in my new kbg renovation, I wonder if the spots could be dying triv or annua from this summer's heat and drought. I do irrigate but sometimes the lawn would show some signs of drought stress.

The spots don't grow beyond the size of a softball or maybe volley ball, and the kbg will fill it back in so it's not the end of the world but I am puzzled.