Growth regulators on lawns

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Growth regulators on lawns

Post by s1mpl3k1d » August 7th, 2020, 11:47 pm

I've seen this term back in the gardenweb days, around 2006. I've always wanted to try it but it never happened. I remember someone told me that it makes lawns drought tolerant. Is it true? I want to try it next year.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Growth regulators on lawns

Post by MorpheusPA » August 8th, 2020, 3:06 am

"someone told me that it makes lawns drought tolerant. Is it true?"

Not particularly. It will certainly slow water stress by a day or two due to lowered growth rates. Accidentally underapplying by ten percent means it doesn't work well, however. Overapplying by ten percent means you probably have major problems. The risk...doesn't often balance out very well.
On the whole balance, I don't use them and don't encourage their use due to the potential errors involved.

Fun fact: At very low app rates, glyphosate (Round Up) can be used as a growth regulator...because auxins are often what's used as growth regulators. It's just that growth regulators on the market are not glyphosate.
Another fun fact: I also apply growth regulators in the garden. In the other direction, to encourage accelerated growth and development. :-) Overapplication will cause the paradoxical growth slowdown effect--relatively safely with gibberelins, but that would be prohibitively expensive on even a small lawn, as well as unreliable.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Post by turf_toes » August 8th, 2020, 9:15 am

Growth regulators in lawns can also lead to fungal problems with pathogens that normally wouldn’t be a problem.

Things like rust and dollarspot which a property fed lawn can simply outgrow can become more serious When under regulation.

There are benefits as related to darker color. But On the balance, after having used growth regulators, I’d say they’re simply not worth the hassle.

s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn

Post by s1mpl3k1d » August 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Hey turf_toes! So glad to see you again! Thanks for the heads up about these PGRs. I won't use them anymore. Thank you!