Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mikhans19
Grass Type: Unsure
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Full-sun seed recommendations for central NJ

Post by mikhans19 » August 10th, 2020, 5:11 pm

Hello All,

I am looking for seed recommendations for my front lawn (full-sun in central NJ). My lawn looks great in the spring and fall but goes quite dormant in the hot summers (even with a thorough in-ground irrigation watering schedule) and I am looking to aerate and overseed this fall with a more heat-tolerant seed. My fertilizer guy recommended KY 31 but wanted to get a few different opinions.

The current lawn consists of many different varieties from what I can tell (fescue, bluegrass, rye, etc.)

Thanks in advance for the responses.

Wally
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Re: Full-sun seed recommendations for central NJ

Post by Wally » August 10th, 2020, 5:33 pm

In the Rutgers class C trials, Midnight performed near the top. I was thinking of blending that with some Diva and Zinfendel.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Full-sun seed recommendations for central NJ

Post by turf_toes » August 10th, 2020, 10:05 pm

If your existing lawn goes dormant in the heat of summer, an overseed isn’t going to give you greatly better results. Your existing rye grass will still be there and will bounce back in the fall. That grass will go dormant again next summer.

Overseeing KBG into a Mostly rye grass lawn Is not likely to give you great results.

I would only say you should never take seed advice from your fertilizer guy, at least if you care about having a decent-looking yard. KY-31 is as course and wide-bladed as a forage grass.

I once had a neighbor who had a beautiful Kentucky Bluegrass lawn. He mistakenly picked up a bag of KY-31 for overseeding one year. His lawn was a terrible mess after that.