How is everyone making out with disease this year?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

How is everyone making out with disease this year?

Post by northeastlawn » August 11th, 2020, 6:52 pm

I had preatty good luck with the Serenade this year. Other than a bunch of dying POA-A the lawn made it all the way to this week before I discovered some disease, but we haven't had any rain since May, and the last two weeks were in the 90's and humid. I had to water more than I liked and the rust just started showing up on the mower.

Since I can't get serenade in small amounts anymore anyway, instead of stretching the last bottle out Im just going to go to the Disease-ex route. We have no rain in sight and nothing but 90's and 80's going into next week. More importantly I don't see night lower than 70deg in the extended forecast. If this year is like last year, I suspect we will have 80's up into mid September.

I made it much longer this year with the preventative fungus program, but this years drought was too much. How is everyone else doing?

DanielF
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Re: How is everyone making out with disease this year?

Post by DanielF » August 11th, 2020, 11:40 pm

Midwest over here, made it all the way until 2 weeks ago, started getting brown patch. spread disease-ex over the weekend. Humidity is what did it this year. I know I lost a few spots, hoping it does not spread, been bagging last few mows should help.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand
Level: Advanced

Post by Paul » August 12th, 2020, 8:44 am

I have been using Serenade every two weeks and so far so good. I do have some brown spots in certain areas I'm trying to figure out but I don't think they are a disease. I know the brown spots on the hell strip are from dogs peeing on it. Overall, with the hot and humid weather and nights in the 70's, I can't complain.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Pway » August 12th, 2020, 9:47 am

Not good. I had some small fungal patches in the back that recovered after some sprays but the front is a disaster. The part effected gets full sun all day so it gets stressed some even with irrigation. Then a fungus hit. Will try to overseed in a couple of weeks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG

Post by MorpheusPA » August 12th, 2020, 12:35 pm

Nothing so far. I didn't use a preventative at all since I didn't make it out to the grain mill or Home Depot in spring, so I went without protection. And nothing materialized even during the early wet period, middling dry-hot period, or now, the late wet-hot age.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 12th, 2020, 4:06 pm

Propiconazole 14.3 and Clearys 3336 solved my issue....

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard

Post by spectrum1c » August 12th, 2020, 10:17 pm

some significant areas of brown patch over the last month. Put down disease-x but unfortunately caught it pretty late because have been really busy with work recently. It was my wife who brought it to my attention. One patch is around 10" wide :blackeye:
Disease-X is making a difference and I'm starting to see some green blades within the patches. The heat is supposed to break this weekend, which should make a difference. I read on a university website (can't remember which), that 5 consecutive days with night-time temperatures below 70 degrees is key. Hopefully this is true.
Someone posted a thread about issues with seeding/overseeding in grass killed by fungus. I'm following that thread to figure out a course of action.....

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » August 13th, 2020, 12:05 am

I'm ok. But two families in my neighborhood got hit and a cousin (with diabetes) died.

Oh wait. Wrong disease.

Never mind.

fun4me2
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by fun4me2 » August 13th, 2020, 6:08 am

bpgreen wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 12:05 am
I'm ok. But two families in my neighborhood got hit and a cousin (with diabetes) died.

Oh wait. Wrong disease.

Never mind.
bpgreen Sorry about the passing of your cousin.
My brother in law who is 82 is at the Holyoke Soldiers Home.
He is the husband of my sister who lost her battle with cancer 4 years ago.

You may have read it in the news.... 76 veterans died of covid at the Holyoke Soldiers Home.
He was one of the fortunate ones who got the virus and survived.
However he witnessed death all around him for weeks in March/April.
I finally got to visit him 3 weeks ago.
The day after I saw him, there was an outbreak of scabies.
Last week they had another outbreak of the virus and more deaths.
It's been a nightmare for my niece and nephews,
and of course other family members with loved ones there.

regarding lawn disease.....

With the hot temps and humidity in June/July, I had a little red thread outbreak.
Fortunately, I did apply DiseaseEx in May.
However, we had such high temps then and in June
I was never able to apply any fertilizer except Milorganite.
We had torrential rain the following day and my even application of Milo washed away.
So not sure how effective that was.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » August 13th, 2020, 10:30 am

fun4me2...

Sorry to hear about your brother-in-law. I live in mass and read about veterans deaths in that facility, it hits home when you start realizing these stories aren't just numbers and there are real people behind the news stories.

Dargin

Post by Dargin » August 13th, 2020, 12:01 pm

I was sticking with just Serenade apps around every five days since May, but come the end of June the lawn looked like jungle camouflage.

While I eventually dialed in my watering pretty darn good this year, hose watering 1 1/2hours (just 1.2k) every 3 days through peak temperatures to get an inch weekly, some early tug-of-war matches with drought stress (uneven watering) coupled with cut quality/mower issues set the stage. So I have some issues to address there.

The full sun areas took the brunt of it. Azoxystrobin and a couple rounds of propiconazole ceased it up pretty good over a few weeks. I continued to water as normal throughout, which I'm still unsure if that was correct. My reasoning was "how could re-introducing drought stress help matters?" Figured as long as it's deep and Infrequent things should be dry enough and work out, but I'm not sure that the summer routine of a 1/2" every 3 days effectively qualifies? Just makes me think how easier this could be if I could get a handle on prevention. Duh.

I'm continuing with the Serenade as well, running pretty low though. The green slowly made a come back despite the temps; only some small patches still lagging behind. I think I'll be comfortable giving it some slow N in a week. I don't suspect any overseeding will be needed.

My plan since last year was to get a sample to Rutgers if I had another outbreak, but I'm holding off until I see that same fungus (it was worse); this year it was more patchy then spot/melt. I also held off on N since 5/30 (No slow growth diseases cropped up). Last Summer I pushed the BSF pretty hard and I think it was enough to fuel some nasty leaf spot.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » August 14th, 2020, 10:54 am

I ended up dropping Disease-ex two days ago. The lawn seems like it bounced back a little already from that app or the cooler night we had. The grass percked right up.

Ironically i noticed the poa-a patches kind of bounced back also. All kind of poa-a seed heads popping up in the middle of august.

Tonight I'll drop a pre-m as its getting cooler at night and water it in Saturday morning. Sunday Ill throw down some BSF, then middle of next week go on to another fungicide or keep doing the serenade.

i guess the wx and the lawn are going to be what shows me which way to go.

The poa-a in the lawn really makes it difficult too figure out if the issue are with disease or how it handles Summer heat. I am not sure if we will ever get that poacure available to home users, but it would be so much easier if I could get rid of the poa-a in the lawn.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » August 14th, 2020, 12:53 pm

My yard held up pretty well this summer. It just started to show some stress the last 2 weeks. Couple of small tan circles with middle die off in a small section which I thought was Dollar Spot. Dropped a little D-EX and that seemed to stop it or it stopped on its own? Wood Sorrel Popping up here and there so going to drop Pre M today and water it in then put and Oceangro app Sunday. Wife not to happy. (told her I will be busy next few months in the yard. She says the yard is more important than her) Uh- Oh, the winds of war are coming :-) :-)

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » August 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm

She says the yard is more important than her
I don't get it - what's her point?

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » August 14th, 2020, 4:24 pm

EXACTLY Andy!!! That's what I THOUGHT but could not get my self to say it

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » August 14th, 2020, 7:11 pm

andy10917 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 2:14 pm
She says the yard is more important than her
I don't get it - what's her point?
Post of the year!

schreibdave
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award and Rhapsody

Post by schreibdave » August 14th, 2020, 7:20 pm

I have a little something going on. Anybody know what this is and what the proper course of action would be? Some individual blades have died off, others have these lesions but most are fine.

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by nclawnguy » August 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Very wet spring and summer, rains almost every day. I treat my front and side yard (12,000 sqft), 95% disease free, doing good. Back yard (20,000 sqft) untreated has disease, probably 70% disease free. Constant rain and with hot North Carolina humid air, what are you going to do. My main issue now is crab grass has taken off. Pre emergent barrier is gone with all the rain, want to get out and spray, but it rains every single day. Oh well, there's worst things in the world.

northeastlawn

Post by northeastlawn » August 14th, 2020, 10:31 pm

[quote=nclawnguy post_id=342642 time=1597451743 user_id=973]
Very wet spring and summer, rains almost every day. I treat my front and side yard (12,000 sqft), 95% disease free, doing good. Back yard (20,000 sqft) untreated has disease, probably 70% disease free. Constant rain and with hot North Carolina humid air, what are you going to do. My main issue now is crab grass has taken off. Pre emergent barrier is gone with all the rain, want to get out and spray, but it rains every single day. Oh well, there's worst things in the world.
[/quote]

Every single rain event since mid May has missed us, I can’t even remember what a good down pour looks like :-) All wwe ever get is clouds and a little drizzle.

Thank god I installed the poly pipe and sprinkler heads this year, I have never had to water as much as I have had to this year.

KBGkicksazz

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 15th, 2020, 6:05 am

northeastlawn wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 10:31 pm
nclawnguy wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Every single rain event since mid May has missed us, I can’t even remember what a good down pour looks like :-) All wwe ever get is clouds and a little drizzle.

Thank god I installed the poly pipe and sprinkler heads this year, I have never had to water as much as I have had to this year.
Brutal year for NH. Hopefully rains return soon.

Ironically the wet spring until mid May set me up for dollar spot then flipped switched to drought stress.