My spring PreM should be 'expiring', is it ok to seed a little early?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

My spring PreM should be 'expiring', is it ok to seed a little early?

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 13th, 2020, 12:04 pm

Based on the dosage of dimension I put down on 4/12, I should now be ready to seed (as it should have lasted 4 months). I usually wait another week or two just to be safe, but I have time this weekend and the weather looks good to get started.

I guess my question is this; even if the PreM is still working a bit, is it ok to seed? I assume yes, and it might simply take longer for the seed to germinate? Or does it not work that way and the PreM could actually harm/kill the seed?

I'm only doing spot seeding (though some areas are decently sized, though still nothing major), so it's not a huge deal if it doesn't work, I can just try again later...

Thank you.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: My spring PreM should be 'expiring', is it ok to seed a little early?

Post by Pway » August 13th, 2020, 3:29 pm

In my experience, Dimension at the .37 per 1000 sq ft rate diminishes at about four months. I don’t think it’s an “all or nothing” situation or the switch just goes on, rather it’s kind of gradual. My guess is you might get a bit less germination but if it were me and the timing was good for me, I’d drop the seed. Caveat: I’m. OT an expert.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 13th, 2020, 8:31 pm

What he (actually, or she, I'm not sure if Pway is male or female, truth be told) said. I might expect reduced germination, even after the expiry of the layer (that's usually the given date after which seed suppression isn't going to be particularly effective).

But you should get germination and a week one way or the other shouldn't make a major difference. Weather differences, year to year, have more impact than time does, all things considered.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 13th, 2020, 9:26 pm

Great, thank you very much.