Weed ID please

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Weed ID please

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 17th, 2020, 5:41 pm

Any idea what this is and what kills it? It's located in Westchester County, NY near the edge of a nomix lawn (creeping in from the neighbor's nomix, though mostly weed-filled lawn).

Thank you.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Weed ID please

Post by andy10917 » August 17th, 2020, 6:51 pm

Oh Lord - I know it and you're not going to like the ID or the work that puppy is going to take...

That's Japanese Stiltgrass, and eradicating it permanently takes two years, and a combination of Pre-M and a pretty expensive herbicide.

You need to have a Pre-M that is in-force around Memorial Day, and a post-emergent called "Acclaim Extra" (Fenoxaprop) for an active infestation. Acclaim Extra costs around $90 for a 16-oz bottle.

Does your neighbors property (or your's) back up to a wooded area? Japanese Stiltgrass put the capital "I" in "Invasive" - don't play around with it.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » August 18th, 2020, 1:07 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 17th, 2020, 6:51 pm
Oh Lord - I know it and you're not going to like the ID or the work that puppy is going to take...

That's Japanese Stiltgrass, and eradicating it permanently takes two years, and a combination of Pre-M and a pretty expensive herbicide.

You need to have a Pre-M that is in-force around Memorial Day, and a post-emergent called "Acclaim Extra" (Fenoxaprop) for an active infestation. Acclaim Extra costs around $90 for a 16-oz bottle.

Does your neighbors property (or your's) back up to a wooded area? Japanese Stiltgrass put the capital "I" in "Invasive" - don't play around with it.
Always the optimist.

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 7:54 am

Thanks Andy. This is at my parent's house, not mine, but yes, both houses back up against woods. I'll let him know what it is and what the solution is. It might just be on a small hill between the two properties, not in the main lawn (yet), so perhaps he'll just round it up...

Thanks again.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » August 18th, 2020, 8:18 am

RoundUp will work for this year, but it has probably gone through the seeding cycle, so it will be back next year. It germinates late (just before Memorial Day), so making sure that a Pre-M is applied and active is critical at that time, to break the cycle. Repeat the Pre-M the following year,

southern-ct-4

Post by southern-ct-4 » August 18th, 2020, 8:35 am

andy10917 wrote:
August 18th, 2020, 8:18 am
RoundUp will work for this year, but it has probably gone through the seeding cycle, so it will be back next year. It germinates late (just before Memorial Day), so making sure that a Pre-M is applied and active is critical at that time, to break the cycle. Repeat the Pre-M the following year,
Thanks so much, I'll let him know.