First overseeding plan

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
daveNJ
Grass Type: Tall fescue, rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

First overseeding plan

Post by daveNJ » August 18th, 2020, 9:15 am

I'm beginning to plan for my first time overseeding this fall. We moved into our house in SW NJ last summer and hired a lawn company to aerate and put down seed last fall. There was no grass down before as this is a new lot. They have come out periodically since then to put down fertilizer, weed control, etc. The results were fair (lots of browning in the front yard, still some weeds primarily sedge and some crabgrass) and I'd like to try overseeding myself this year.

Our soil is quite sandy from the samples I've taken (~63% sand, 25% silt, 12% clay) so I was thinking of putting down compost when I overseed to give the soil a boost in nutrients and hopefully help the seeds retain water better. Our front yard is very sunny and gets at least 10 hours of direct sunlight during the summer. I believe it was the combination of sun and sandy soil that made our front yard struggle this summer. Our back yard did much better.

Here is what I am planning to do. If anyone has any feedback or advice I would greatly appreciate it! After reading dozens of threads on this website and around the Internet, I've decided to drop the core aeration or slit seeding step. The concensus seems to be this doesn't do much for the new seedlings but it has the potential to stir up some weed seeds. Please correct me if I'm wrong!

1. Starting now, gradually lower my mower blades over the next few weeks to prepare for overseeding.
2. I usually mulch my grass clippings. On the last mow before overseeding, bag the clippings in order to leave more soil exposed for the seeds.
3. In a month or so, apply a quarter inch of compost at most using a compost spreader or the back-side-of-a-rake method. Should this be done before or after the seeds are put down? Putting down the compost before seeding will add a layer between the seeds and soil, no? I'm afraid putting down the compost after seeding might smother the seeds. Is a 1/4 inch of compost not enough to prevent new seed growth?
4. Put down the seeds using a broadcast spreader. According to the lawn company, the mix they put down was 80% TTTF, 20% rye. I'm considering 4th Millennium, Avenger II, Titanium 2LS, or a mixture of these. They are all well-rated by Rutgers turf testing for our area. Are these good choices? Any other seed suggestions?
5. Apply Scotts starter and weed preventer (or a similar product with mesotrione, as this is safe with new seeds). Is anything else needed since I will be putting down compost as well?
6. Water, water, water.

Does this sound like a good plan? Is there anything you guys would do differently? I appreciate any help as this is my first time overseeding! Thanks!

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: First overseeding plan

Post by Pway » August 25th, 2020, 11:44 am

I generally put down about 1/8 of an inch of peat moss on time of the seed. I believe the peat moss, once down, needs be be hydrated so your first watering will e more than subsequent watering, in my opinion. Overseeding the same grass types, as you are doing, is a lot easier than trying to o traduce a new type (e.g., KBG overseed into TTTF or rye is tough). Good luck!