Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Setzer1994
Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Taking Over A New Disaster

Post by Setzer1994 » August 18th, 2020, 8:12 pm

Hey gang -

Been a while, but time to get back into the deep end with the lawn nuts!

After getting my lawn into great shape over the course of a few years, I had to go do something stupid like buy a new house. Nice 1/2 acre with a hill in the front which one day will show off some nice green carpet to the neighbors. However, like most new homes, the previous owner completely neglected the yard.

Now of course I'll be getting a soil test, but I'm moving in at quite a bad time. I should already be seeding but I'm behind already due to all the weeds, crabgrass, dethatching, etc. that should have ideally already been taken care of.

My question is this - since we're already so far into the year, am I crazy to ignore things for now and start right next year? I'd probably still triangle-approach this fall. Get the test and begin fixing the soil. Next spring drop the pre-M to stay ahead of the curve for an over/re-seed in the fall. Any downsides (besides the obvious dealing with a less-than-stellar-yard) to waiting the year and "ramping up" so-to-speak?

Thanks everyone!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Re: Taking Over A New Disaster

Post by MorpheusPA » August 18th, 2020, 8:22 pm

So, you're busy, right? I'd just take care of the weeds, feed the thing, check the soil, and worry about it next year when you can do it at a more leisurely pace.

Congrats on the new home! ... But you don't have to do everything at once. I'm the sort where the sun will not set on a box. Not everybody does this.

Setzer1994
Grass Type: Northern Mix / Fine Fescue

Post by Setzer1994 » August 18th, 2020, 11:09 pm

Hey Morph nice to see you again.

Definitely leaning towards not doing everything all at once. Probably would rush it with poor results. Better to take it slow.

KBGkicksazz
Grass Type: KBG

Post by KBGkicksazz » August 19th, 2020, 6:37 am

I feel your pain. I’ve lived in 3 different homes in the last 10 years and starting over sucks.

This is a great time to just eliminate the weeds and fertilize.

Whatever grass is there should come back once we get past the waning heat of summer.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 19th, 2020, 7:32 am

I think your inclination to commence the triangle approach this fall, take care of the existing lawn to get familiar with the particular issues of your lawn, and plan a full renovation next August would be the way to go.

I'd also suggest getting a Logan labs soil test to be able to work on soil remediation. I don't think I'd wait until next spring, but would get the test done now, so that if there are any significant deficiencies (which there almost surely will be if the home is relatively new construction) you have nearly a full year to start remedying them before seed-down in August of 2021.

Pre-emergent next spring would be great, to help work down any "seed bank" of weed seeds in the soil, greatly increasing the likelihood of a successful renovation without grassy weeds.

Congratulations on the new home!