I think I have poa triv

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Jump Start 2
Grass Type: KBG-TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

I think I have poa triv

Post by Jump Start 2 » August 23rd, 2020, 12:30 pm

TTTF no KBG in the mix. Roundup all of this part of yard last year and reseed with TTTF bag said no weed seeds. This lime green grass came up also i have sprayed it with tenacity in the spring and now it does not kill it turns it white it is easy to pull up. Should i use roundup on it and reseed or pull it up and reseed. There is alot of it spread out in the yard......

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: I think I have poa triv

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 23rd, 2020, 2:32 pm

Yeah, that looks a lot like the Poa trivialis that I struggle with in our lawn.

Just FYI, on a seed label, Poa trivialis wouldn't be listed as a "weed seed" but would in the category of "other crop seeds." That said, I wouldn't expect there to be much Poa trivialis seed in even a "bad bag" of TTTF seed, as the seeds are radically different from one another in terms of size.

Personally, I haven't found just pulling Poa trivialis up to be sufficient. I usually do both -- first kill it with glyphosate, then remove the sod from the offending area, and replace with either sod cut from a good portion of the lawn or weed-free soil and new seed. When killing and removing, choose an area about 6 to 8 inches larger all the way around, to get the stolons you can't really see yet.

Let the battle begin...

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 23rd, 2020, 8:51 pm

Tenacity also works well, that I've found, but you do have to keep after it. White and scared doesn't mean dying, as you noted--hit it twice, and whack it when it's down and scared. You have to keep it unable to photosynthesize.

Also, make sure to add enough spreader sticker to your Tenacity. Lately I'm seeing the trend that people who add more are getting better results, and people with softer water are getting better results. To compensate for harder water? Add more spreader sticker.

Jump Start 2
Grass Type: KBG-TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Jump Start 2 » August 23rd, 2020, 9:13 pm

Thanks guess i'll be working on getting rid of it .

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard

Post by spectrum1c » August 23rd, 2020, 9:16 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 8:51 pm
Tenacity also works well, that I've found, but you do have to keep after it. White and scared doesn't mean dying, as you noted--hit it twice, and whack it when it's down and scared. You have to keep it unable to photosynthesize.

Also, make sure to add enough spreader sticker to your Tenacity. Lately I'm seeing the trend that people who add more are getting better results, and people with softer water are getting better results. To compensate for harder water? Add more spreader sticker.
How often are you treating with tenacity to achieve this goal? Do you still pull up the sod and replace? Would we have to go above the max yearly limit of tenacity?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » August 23rd, 2020, 11:04 pm

Two, three, four times, back when I still had it. In the given spot, I absolutely blew past the cops as far as the limit was concerned, but as far as even within ten square feet was concerned, no. Surrounding bluegrass discolored appreciably, but I can't say I had any losses of note.

With TTTF, I'd expect extreme whitening and probably some loss of surrounding grass.

I don't dig. I left the corpses there as a warning to other triv plants and let the bluegrass reinvade and fill in, and kept (and still keep) a shield of Prodiamine down against future incursions of triv and annua. I actually just dropped that today, since the next seven days should feature rain within the next two (hopefully but perhaps not) and more likely some rain from the remnants of Laura by Friday.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » August 24th, 2020, 6:11 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
August 23rd, 2020, 11:04 pm
Two, three, four times, back when I still had it. In the given spot, I absolutely blew past the cops as far as the limit was concerned, but as far as even within ten square feet was concerned, no. Surrounding bluegrass discolored appreciably, but I can't say I had any losses of note.
Hmm. Maybe I'll need to give that approach a try on my next battle with Poa trivialis. Maybe I just didn't stick with it long enough when I've tried Tenacity with Poa trivialis in the past...

Lawndog
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Midnight II, Moonlight & Prosperity), Back: Blueberry KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Lawndog » August 27th, 2020, 8:48 pm

I never had any luck killing triv with Tenacity after attempting it for about two years straight. The only thing that actually took it out was killing it in the early Spring. The following year in Spring was deemed a success. It hasn't come back since that time, although the lawn was an eyesore until late August when it was reseeded.