Fall Prodiamine after KBG germination

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
mdxers
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award, Mazama
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Fall Prodiamine after KBG germination

Post by mdxers » September 18th, 2020, 10:52 am

My reno is coming in nicely. Some areas emerging from "pout" (30 days now). I would like to finally start doing a fall pre-m as I have never done that before. Now that the KBG has germinated, is Prodiamine okay to put down?

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Fall Prodiamine after KBG germination

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 18th, 2020, 11:17 am

That's a good idea to get a fall per-emergent down for a lawn of KBG to reduce the amount of Poa annua and Poa trivialis that can get started in your lawn from seeds that may already be there.

As much as there's a lot of knowledgeable people on forums like this one, the first place that you should check for such information is the product label. What specific product are you planning to use for prodiamine? What does the label say about it?

If you let us know the specific product you are using and are having trouble finding the needed information on the label (sometimes it is phrased quite oddly or in legalese), we can definitely help, but we'll need to know the specific product to be able to provide definitive advice.

In general, there will be a restriction on how soon prodiamine can be safely applied to a new lawn.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 18th, 2020, 11:34 am

Straight off the label:

"WHEN TO APPLY PRODIAMINE 65 WDG AFTER OVERSEEDING TURF
Injury to desirable seedlings is likely if PRODIAMINE 65 WDG is applied before the
secondary roots of seedlings are in the second inch of soil (not thatch plus soil). To reduce
the potential to injure overseeded turf, wait 60 days after seeding or until after the second
mowing, whichever is longer, before applying PRODIAMINE 65 WDG."

So...no. Wait 30 more days yet. At least, and I'm always inclined to cut things a little wide just for safety when possible.

mdxers
Grass Type: Bewitched, Award, Mazama
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by mdxers » September 18th, 2020, 1:40 pm

FYI it is Crabgrass Control Plus 0 - 0 - 7 with 0.37% Prodiamine Herbicide
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS
00-0-07
Soluble Potash 7%
Derived From: Muriate of Potash,
Chlorine, (Cl), not more than 6.00%. Yes, I can wait another month.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » September 18th, 2020, 2:33 pm

Same thing. :-) At least another month; it's day 60 or second required mow, whichever comes second. I'd say that, for my KBG reno (which went off very well), that was considerably longer than day sixty.

Any pre-emergent is a root trimmer, which is a really bad idea on a new renovation.