Success with killing Bermuda

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Some Experience

Success with killing Bermuda

Post by starpartyguy » September 22nd, 2020, 10:33 am

I mentioned before in a post that I have a patch of Bermuda ~300 square feet in the front corner of my lawn. I was looking for a solution online can read one comment about using a combination of Ornamec and Turflon Ester. Someone suggested to put bottle rates of both in 1 gallon of water (with surfactent).

I mixed up the solution and put it generously on the Bermuda. Had way more than I needed so put it down and kept the rest mixed in the sprayer. Repeated 2x more at 2 week intervals. Effects started showing after second app. after 6 weeks, no more Bermuda.

Now it's 3 months since first application. No bermuda is coming up and TTTF is starting to fill in.

I'm going to cover the area that hasn't filled in with topsoil/compost mix and then seed with TTTF which I have left over from late last fall. Might do that this week.

But so far so good.

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Level: Experienced

Re: Success with killing Bermuda

Post by JHazzardB » September 23rd, 2020, 11:42 am

When you say "bottle rates" are we talking the rates printed on the directions for each bottle for, say, a 1K square foot area?

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Level: Some Experience

Re: Success with killing Bermuda

Post by starpartyguy » September 26th, 2020, 8:09 am

I’m using the rate printed on the bottle for 1 gallon of spray. Ornamec over the top 2.5 oz, Turflon Ester 1 tbsp. I have tttf spreading into the dead area and still no Bermuda. It’s 4 weeks at least since last application. My neighbors yard has a patch of Bermuda and I have a clearly defined line where his Bermuda borders my fescue. I’m in central Pa. and Bermuda will start turning brown soon.

Btw, I’m spot spraying clover and wild violet with T-zone. Using it as my go to weed killer. My lawn dominates my neighbors! My lawn is still dark green. Theirs is mostly weeds. Makes me smile!