KBG Fungus prevention Best Practice?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

KBG Fungus prevention Best Practice?

Post by Masbustelo » September 24th, 2020, 6:00 am

I am venturing into a KBG lawn and have very little experience with bluegrass, I see many posts of various molds and mildews and the problems they can cause. I am aware that it is much easier to do preventive treatments versus post infection cure treatment. I also note a myriad of various concoctions being used. What would be considered best practice? How are these lawns generally maintained from a preventative viewpoint? I have a high Ph soil situation, can I spray micronized sulfur next year periodically? How about mancozeb? I won't be irrigating, and with mowing heighth 3.5 inches and good soil nutrition is it expected that I will or won't have fungus issues? When can they be expected to arise? I assume high humidity and heat?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: KBG Fungus prevention Best Practice?

Post by turf_toes » September 24th, 2020, 8:37 am

Best bet is to research NTEP for best cultivars for disease resistance.

If you’re starting new, that’s the most important thing you can do.

Also, if disease resistance is your primary concern, plant a KBG blend, not a monostand.

I live my backyard monostand of Bewitched. But every year it shows an issue with Rust.

The front yard blend doesn’t show a sign of it.

Luckily Rust is an easily treated pathogen that can just be fertilized and the grass will outgrow it.