Weed Identification

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Rusty0528
Grass Type: Sunny Mix
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Weed Identification

Post by Rusty0528 » September 28th, 2020, 9:10 am

Good morning I just completely renovated my lawn and it was growing beautifully. However, last Friday I noticed some weeds starting to grow and I tried a bunch, but am unable to identify the weed. I was hoping somebody here would be able to assist me in identifying it. I attached a picture of the weed below, I believe it is crabgrass. I have been reading these forums for a awhile and have learned a lot, but don’t trust myself enough to make that determination.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Rusty0528

Re: Weed Identification

Post by Rusty0528 » September 30th, 2020, 6:20 am

Anyone?

lVlrBoJang1es
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by lVlrBoJang1es » October 1st, 2020, 8:20 am

I'm no expert, but that doesn't look like crabgrass to me. From what i've seen, a lack of provided information on these forums usually leads to a lack of responses <- I mean that in the most polite way!

A picture of the cluster/clump might also help identify - or are they growing "stand alone"? Is it found in wet/dry sunny/shady areas?

Have a look here (good spot to start):
https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117

Decent visual library here that might help a bit further:
https://www.trugreen.com/lawn-care-101/ ... assy-weeds

As you can see from those resources, the plant structure on its own is almost undiscernible from type to type. Need a full picture of the situation in order for the experts (certainly not me) to make a guess. And in most(/all) cases, the best anyone can do is provide guess.

You'll probably be better off looking at the resources and making the conclusion yourself since you can investigate the plant/growing/environmental properties firsthand :)

Rusty0528

Post by Rusty0528 » October 3rd, 2020, 7:08 am

My lawn was completely renovated on Labor Day, so almost 4 weeks ago. My lawn has no shade at all. I set my sprinklers to water 3 times,10 mins each. I slowed that recently to about an inch a week using the rain gauge to help determine when to water. Whatever the weed is, it is very young which is why I am having a hard time determining what it is.

I attached a picture of the area with the most of it and a zoomed in picture as well.

Thanks for all the info you gave me I will spend a lot of time reading through all that.

DocV
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by DocV » October 5th, 2020, 1:12 pm

It has a ligule like orchardgrass (https://aroundtheyard.com/index.php?opt ... Itemid=117) but looks a bit different in that it is a darker shade of green.