Question about when to do KBG plugs....

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Question about when to do KBG plugs....

Post by northeastlawn » September 28th, 2020, 10:07 pm

So for the first time I feel like my KBG might be thick enough to take some plugs from one area and put it around the border that is always over run with poa-a and yellow every year. the KBG has worked its way in, but its taking a while for the KBG to gain a foot hold. I was thinking of taking some plugs this right after the first frost date when i finish the fall ferltizer program. I had a few questions....

When is the best time to do it?

I will be using a pro plugger, how deep should I set it for?

Should I fill the holes in from where I get the plugs from with compost or top soil?

I actually have plenty of home made compost, but not sure whats usually done.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Re: Question about when to do KBG plugs....

Post by ken-n-nancy » September 28th, 2020, 11:26 pm

northeastlawn wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 10:07 pm
So for the first time I feel like my KBG might be thick enough to take some plugs from one area...

When is the best time to do it?

I will be using a pro plugger, how deep should I set it for?

Should I fill the holes in from where I get the plugs from with compost or top soil?

I actually have plenty of home made compost, but not sure whats usually done.
I think there are lots of valid ways to use a ProPlugger. It works well with KBG.

I find that there are basically two "spreading seasons" each year -- spring and fall. It always seems to me that there is more spreading in the spring than the fall, at least with my mostly shady lawn. I also find that basically the plug doesn't spread at all in the first 2-3 months after it is transplanted, but uses that time to "get settled" and will then spread in the next "spreading season."

I think it's likely that a plug that is transplanted now will "settle in" this fall and will be able to start spreading in the spring.

After transplanting plugs, it is important to water them as if they were new sod for a few weeks after transplanting.

I usually use 4" plugs. Some people prefer 6" plugs; others say 2" plugs are sufficient.

I use the dirt from the "destination holes" to fill the "source holes." Accordingly, I use the following sequence:
  • Pull about 20 plugs from "destination" and put plugs in wheelbarrow
  • Pull a ProPlugger full of plugs from "source area" and place in empty "destination holes"
  • Repeat above step until all "destination holes" are filled.
  • Break up plugs in the wheelbarrow (which came from the "destination holes") to make loose dirt, and place in the "source holes."
If your soil is poor, you could use compost or new topsoil to fill the "source holes" instead of the dirt removed from the "destination holes" if you prefer. You could also mix in compost with the broken up plugs in the wheelbarrow if you want to try to improve the soil some.

That's it! It does take longer than one thinks.

After placing plugs, water in well with a hose and continue to water in very well each day that it doesn't rain for about 7-10 days.