Decision to make

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
reverseration
Grass Type: KBG, Rye, Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Decision to make

Post by reverseration » October 5th, 2020, 11:49 am

As a real quick background: I tore up and leveled my very small (~350sqft) front yard this past spring. I decided to do a spring seeding since I was working from home and would be able to water it accordingly. I had great success and its looked really great all year.
I just found out the city is replacing part of the sidewalk probably within the next week and of course that means damage to my brand new lawn. My questions is this: I know we're well past the optimal seed down date for fall seeding here in NY....but....is it better to throw some down anyway and hope for the best or leave it bare and just deal with it in the spring? I used the seedsuperstore sunny mix (and thankfully still have some left) so I'm sure the rye grass will have time to grow a bit but the KBG would be in trouble. Am I inviting a slew of issues next year by leaving it completely bare? I suppose the silver lining is that its such a small area anything is manageable. Any advice would be appreciated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Decision to make

Post by andy10917 » October 5th, 2020, 5:50 pm

For 350 sq ft, I'd give it a shot - the risk is lower than the reward.

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » October 5th, 2020, 6:27 pm

Since it is such a small area, I think you're better off tossing the mixed seed down and seeing what comes up in the spring. You can always apply more seed in the spring if not much germinates this year. However, I've sown a northern mix this late at roughly the same latitude and had at least the PRG come up and survive. If nothing else, the PRG will hold the soil in place over the winter so it doesn't erode away when the snow melts.

By the way, the lawn looks great! Well done!

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern

Post by Jackson » October 5th, 2020, 10:46 pm

I’d seed as soon as they finish construction and before the first big snow. You’ll be good in the spring.

reverseration
Grass Type: KBG, Rye, Fescue

Post by reverseration » October 6th, 2020, 9:41 am

thanks for the advice guys...I'll throw it down and see what happens!