This is why you don't use straw for a reno

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

This is why you don't use straw for a reno

Post by falcon » October 24th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Everyone that reads this forum knows that peat moss is recommended to cover seed when doing a reno. Someone always wants to know if they can us straw instead, and they are always kindly advised to avoid it.

I get it, peat moss is expensive, especially if you need a lot of it. But it's worth it. And here you will see why...I bought these bales two weeks ago to give my kids hay rides for Halloween. They have been sitting next to my barn waiting for the occasion. And look what is growing right out of them.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: This is why you don't use straw for a reno

Post by andy10917 » October 25th, 2020, 8:52 am

The picture is a really valuable lesson in what you can unintentionally bring to your lawn when trying to cover seeded areas, but I think you're making a mistake that needs to be clarified a little...

While many people use the terms "Straw" and "Hay" interchangeably, there are differences that matter a lot when discussing them. The picture appears to show "hay", which is grown in open fields without weed control, and (yup, you guessed it) those grassy and broadleaf weeds that were in the field come with it when you buy it. "Straw" is the byproduct of harvesting (mostly) grain crops.

Straw has much less propensity to introduce weeds into the lawn and garden.

Hay has absolutely no place or legitimate use in a residential lawn, unless you are begging to do some weeding work...

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by edslawn » October 26th, 2020, 8:17 pm

Unfortunately, it seems that peat moss may be a casualty of COVID-19. I'm struggling to find it in stock and they are blaming the lack of shipments from Canada. Anyone else seeing this?

nclawnguy
Grass Type: tttf
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by nclawnguy » October 27th, 2020, 10:53 am

You don't have to cover your seeds with anything if you have irrigation or sprinkler set up. Straw is the absolute worst though.

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre

Post by DevilDawg81 » October 28th, 2020, 9:21 pm

Andy is spot on (no surprise 😀). Straw and hay are different. I’ve used straw on my two largest renos. I’ll admit, straw will introduce weeds...but in my experiences if you use Tenacity at seed down and follow good practices...by the following fall there’s limited if any weed presence.