Spray fungus this time of year?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Spray fungus this time of year?

Post by Pway » November 23rd, 2020, 12:18 pm

I had fungus problems in august and ended up overseeding much of my front lawn. I had been using azoxystrobin and propicanizol, and also got some serenade. There are two or three patches that are yellow and reddish (rust). Should I spray this again at this late date or just figure the cold weather will kill it? Thanks in advance.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Spray fungus this time of year?

Post by MorpheusPA » November 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm

Rust isn't a major disease and usually doesn't do any appreciable damage. For the most part, it's firmly in the "ignore" column unless it's running wild.

Pway

Post by Pway » November 23rd, 2020, 3:09 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 1:56 pm
Rust isn't a major disease and usually doesn't do any appreciable damage. For the most part, it's firmly in the "ignore" column unless it's running wild.

Thanks Morpheus. I’m pretty sure I had pythium blight in august but this is different and looks like rust so I’ll probably ignore it and make sure I do preventative applications next year.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » November 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm

Even that's probably overkill. I have rust every year and don't bother doing anything other than noting, "Oh. Rust again." :-)

It really is pretty harmless unless it seriously looks like the surface of Mars. If it does--feed the lawn with a fast-release nitrogen fertilizer. Rust can't stand nitrogen.

Even if you don't, the lawn will regrow over the damage next spring 99% of the time. Spreading lawns will simply repair themselves.

Pway

Post by Pway » November 23rd, 2020, 4:22 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
November 23rd, 2020, 3:53 pm
Even that's probably overkill. I have rust every year and don't bother doing anything other than noting, "Oh. Rust again." :-)

It really is pretty harmless unless it seriously looks like the surface of Mars. If it does--feed the lawn with a fast-release nitrogen fertilizer. Rust can't stand nitrogen.

Even if you don't, the lawn will regrow over the damage next spring 99% of the time. Spreading lawns will simply repair themselves.
Thanks. I agree, rust isn’t a big deal. In august my lawn had some more serious fungus (I didn’t get it tested at the lab but I think a pythium) and I lost a couple thousand square feet almost overnight. I had been rotating heritage and propicanizol but I did something wrong because it didn’t prevent it although I applied at the preventative rate and intervals on the label.