Question re rock salt and grass

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Question re rock salt and grass

Post by Pway » December 16th, 2020, 9:38 am

I’ve never used rock salt (sodium chloride) on my walk or driveway because I have thought (correctly or incorrectly) that it damages the law. Like many in the Northeast we are getting a show storm later today and tomorrow. I have some rock salt my dad had years ago. Is that okay to scatter some on the driveway or is that bad for the grass in the spring? Thanks.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Re: Question re rock salt and grass

Post by Masbustelo » December 16th, 2020, 10:06 am

Perhaps an alternative question for the discussion is: Is there something better to use than rock salt on my driveway? If some rock salt, is a small sum, then it might both; be okay to scatter some on the driveway and also be bad for the grass in the spring.

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by turf_toes » December 16th, 2020, 10:20 am

Some people use urea. Though I’m not sure if that would be allowed in states like NJ which restrict use of Fertilizer after certain dates.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » December 16th, 2020, 11:05 am

Calcium Chloride or Magnesium Chloride are less harmful than Rock Salt (Sodium Chloride) -- but they're more expensive.

In late Winter, I generally post a reminder that Gypsum can be applied to try to displace Sodium in late Winter to minimize damage. It's a YMMV treatment - it can help in light/moderate situations, but nothing helps where the usage of Salt is heavy.

Pway

Post by Pway » December 16th, 2020, 11:33 am

Thanks guys, I think I’ll skip the salt.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » December 16th, 2020, 2:51 pm

I also have rock salt in the garage in case of emergency or moving glaciers. If it's icy, I'm using it.

One or two shots shouldn't be much of a problem. Consistent use absolutely would be if the runoff went onto your lawn. In my case, anyway, water runs down the driveway into the street. So for this current snow emergency, I'm not too concerned. I'd rather be able to get out safely.

Other things you can do are scatter some sand on the ice for traction. And a little Milorganite works well, too. :-)

Pway

Post by Pway » December 16th, 2020, 3:13 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 2:51 pm
I also have rock salt in the garage in case of emergency or moving glaciers. If it's icy, I'm using it.

One or two shots shouldn't be much of a problem. Consistent use absolutely would be if the runoff went onto your lawn. In my case, anyway, water runs down the driveway into the street. So for this current snow emergency, I'm not too concerned. I'd rather be able to get out safely.

Other things you can do are scatter some sand on the ice for traction. And a little Milorganite works well, too. :-)
Thanks. It is supposed to snow, then maybe sleet or rain, then more snow, then turn colder the next few days. I always only shoveled until a couple of years ago I broke down and got a snow blower. Now I’m contemplating using sale.... getting old I guess. Between the driveway, walks and patio I have about 3000 sq ft and whereas it didn’t bother me years ago, it’s more of a challenge now.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 16th, 2020, 3:44 pm

Ditto. My knee, which used to be a minor issue, is now more of one. And I'm starting to get the feeling that a fall, which would have been an inconvenience twenty years ago, might be a bit of a problem today. Not yet debilitating, but a wee bit of a potential problem.

My advice? If you have to use it for your safety, use it. We can pick up the pieces later if we have to as far as your grass is concerned. A shot today used once in December probably won't do much anyway, it has huge amounts of water to dilute into as it melts, and will most likely wash out effortlessly. If not, gypsum will most likely dispel it if it turns out we have an awful winter.

If it were to get so bad you do have to do some damage, the edges of your grass may burn a bit and need a bit of repair. Which you'll be able to do since you didn't break a hip. The tradeoff here seems very clear to me. And frankly, Piscataway gets enough rain that damage isn't very likely and can be flushed out with repetitive use of gypsum in most cases. I'm not too worried about it even if you had to replace the top 4" of soil in a few inches off a few bits of the driveway.

The next time you can get out safely in this mess we call 2020, if you can pick up one of the less-damaging ice melts like calcium chloride, that would be better (and it's better for the waterways too)--plus some sand for simple traction (that will never hurt anything). But I'd just use the sodium chloride this time and not worry about it.

Pway

Post by Pway » December 16th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Great wisdom, Morph, thanks. You’re right, with the way 2020 has been its better to be safe. Our latest 2020 event was that our 10’ Christmas tree fell over about 15 minutes after decorating it the other day, breaking a few dozen ornaments including a few that have been in the family for almost 100 years. In the scheme of things, that isn’t anywhere near as much adversity that so many others have faced this year so I have to remind myself of that. Just started snowing here about 20 minutes ago.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 16th, 2020, 4:33 pm

I'm sorry to hear about the ornaments! Given that most of mine are also glass and crystal...I can empathize.

My parents had a similar disaster many years ago before I was born--they decorated the tree, went to dinner, returned, and the tree was...not in the window. The dachshund was also nowhere to be found. The events were related. That dog was a terror (but was also so protective of me that she slept under the crib).

The snow started here around 2 PM, with a half inch down already. It's very light and fluffy, and already getting dark with no cloud detail discernible even to my eyes. If I painted it, it would be a flat, deep sixty percent gray. This one means business. I'm going to finish up and go paint something bright red and cheerful.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » December 19th, 2020, 7:04 pm

I also worry about all of the delivery people these days since we use Amazon and other delivery services quite a bit due to COVID. I use Magnesium Chloride mostly and put it down to keep everyone safe.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Same difference! Although there again, I'd use calcium chloride (it's actually better for the soil).

On the up side, we ended up only getting about seven inches of snow with a little ice. Zip, zap, clean. It amounted to good exercise and nothing else and didn't interfere with getting my car in for inspection the next day. (Fun story there; they didn't change my oil because, in the words of Pat, "You didn't drive enough. Like, you know, everybody else this year. So we're not charging you for stuff you don't need.")

It's already melting off.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » December 19th, 2020, 9:07 pm

Same story here - I start getting "warnings" that I need to schedule an oil change 500 miles before it is due - the warning light has been on for two months, and I still have 443 miles left to go.

BTW, we got about a foot of snow here.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 19th, 2020, 10:49 pm

Fortunately, I don't get a botheration of a light, just the little written note on my windshield. I had it changed last year, therefore... :-)

I've saved a fortune in gas, oil, and car insurance this year. On the down side, it's cost a fortune in paint, brushes, and canvas. On balance, I'm probably in the hole a couple hundred bucks, actually...

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » December 20th, 2020, 12:17 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
December 19th, 2020, 8:51 pm
Same difference! Although there again, I'd use calcium chloride (it's actually better for the soil).
That may depend on the soil. I'm not sure adding more calcium to my soil is a good thing. But the amount in the ice melting stuff would probably be a drop in the bucket.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » December 20th, 2020, 2:16 am

bpgreen wrote:
December 20th, 2020, 12:17 am
That may depend on the soil. I'm not sure adding more calcium to my soil is a good thing. But the amount in the ice melting stuff would probably be a drop in the bucket.
Pretty much. With rare exception, I'd always rather pour on calcium than magnesium; it shouldn't be that much, usually, but even in a limestone quarry situation, I'd still rather overload more Ca than dump magnesium. Ca generally comes with fewer consequences.
It's interesting to note that I just use (cheap and easy to source) sodium chloride. For the two or three times it's necessary (I didn't use it during this storm at all and usually don't), I just don't worry about it. 95% or more of the weight necessary will run right into the storm drains anyway.