Starter Plus Weed Preventer 21-22-4

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Sod
Grass Type: Mix cold climate
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Starter Plus Weed Preventer 21-22-4

Post by Sod » January 2nd, 2021, 6:20 pm

Has anyone used this product on an existing lawn? What has been your experience with the success of it helping to control/kill pos. I understand that the weed control ingredient is the same as tenacity. TIA.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Starter Plus Weed Preventer 21-22-4

Post by northeastlawn » January 2nd, 2021, 8:19 pm

I have suggested people to use it; and your on the right track, but the general consensus among many on here is....

1.) You usually don't have to put down starter with the seed if you have good soil, your better off waiting until 30 days after germination to put any fertilizer down.

Every request on here usually is followed up with a suggestion to get a spring soil test done, so a volunteer on here and can let you know if your soil needs anything before you do your reno.

2.) Your better off spraying tenacity very carefully with a tank sprayer; the $55 bottle of Tenacity is a way better value than the $40 bag of starter with weed control, and your going to need how to use a tank sprayer eventually anyway. Tenacity gets you used to calibrating a tank sprayer right off the bat.

With all that said, I have recommended the scott starter with weed control to people that have no intention to calibrate a tank sprayer and their eyes start to gloss over when I explain to them how to put seed down. :-) I always figure that even if the the granular Mesotrione app isn't ideal, its better than doing none at all. That and a lot of people do believe in putting down starter fertilizer with seed.

Since I am assuming you have all winter to get ready for your next renovation, read up on applying Tenacity yourself. You will then be ready to treat a ton of post emergent weed issues later on and save a lot of money.

If time and conveyance the most important factor, it does what it says, but it's much more expensive and you have much less control in regards to how much you put down.