It's March!! Time to Wake Up (and Happy Birthday ATY)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

It's March!! Time to Wake Up (and Happy Birthday ATY)

Post by andy10917 » March 1st, 2021, 8:09 am

It's March 1st, and its time to end the hibernation and start the new season in the Cool-Season areas!

Yeah, I know that there is still a lot of snow cover in many areas (I still have up to 2 feet of snow in some areas), but there are parts of the Cool-Season zone that can get outside and get going.

It's also the 12th birthday for the AroundTheYard community - Happy Birthday ATY !!!

Is everyone waking up and ready to put Winter away and get to working outside? It's less than two weeks to Daylight Saving Time.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: It's March!! Time to Wake Up (and Happy Birthday ATY)

Post by edslawn » March 1st, 2021, 12:42 pm

I'm definitely dealing with a heavy case of cabin fever and ready to get at it. Here in Central PA, I'm seeing grass (after rain all weekend) and thinking spring. Seeing mid-50s this week and 60 next. Getting ready to pull the snow blade and mount the deck on the tractor (although spring snows in March do happen :))

The forsythia was blooming on Mar 15th last year, so time to get ready for prodiamine as pre-emergent. I've also been taking to heart your and Morpheus' warnings on holding off on fert... last fall I did my first aggressive N regimen (did a single N app in 2019) so I'm anxious to see how the lawn wakes up.

..and Happy Birthday ATY!

Turk
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Turk » March 1st, 2021, 2:10 pm

First time post: glad I found this forum, I'm looking forward to a more "informed" approach to lawn management, last year was a bit of scrambling to figure out what to do with the weed-infested lawn as a new homeowner (fall renovation after aerating didn't go as well as I hoped due to a cheap spreader giving me zebra stripes).

I've got a serious nimblewill problem in the front yard (Tenacity didn't seem to kill it last summer before putting down the grass seed but maybe it was nimblewill seeds that came up after the renovation), so I'm planning on raking the nimblewill once I get my Groundskeeper II rake in a few days, followed by a soil test then pre-emergent.

I have almost 24,000 sf, so I was planning using a spreader for Dimension in granular form (Jonathan Green Season Long Weed Preventer) around March 15 (before soil hits 55 deg F).

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » March 1st, 2021, 2:15 pm

Just ten more minutes, Ma.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » March 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm

First time post: glad I found this forum, I'm looking forward to a more "informed" approach to lawn management, last year was a bit of scrambling to figure out what to do with the weed-infested lawn as a new homeowner (fall renovation after aerating didn't go as well as I hoped due to a cheap spreader giving me zebra stripes).
Turk: in order to get any responses to your post, you're going to need to cut/paste/post as a new topic, so that people see it and respond, Right now, you're in just a general topic that the season is starting. Your new topic will get attention.

BTW, welcome!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » March 1st, 2021, 5:18 pm

Once the showers blew through, we were at a balmy 50deg.

I was just thinking its time to order some seed for part of my front hell strip experiment.

My backyard is probably in better shape than any spring i have ever had, really looking forward to this year.

Turk
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by Turk » March 1st, 2021, 5:39 pm

andy10917 wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm
Turk: in order to get any responses to your post, you're going to need to cut/paste/post as a new topic, so that people see it and respond, Right now, you're in just a general topic that the season is starting. Your new topic will get attention.

BTW, welcome!
Thanks, I submitted as new topic

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » March 1st, 2021, 11:32 pm

We had several feet of snow up until 2 days ago. Now the majority of the snow is gone. Can’t wait to power rake it, and mow.

KPersico
Grass Type: Kentucky Bluegrass

Post by KPersico » March 1st, 2021, 11:51 pm

Whats everyone plan for March?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000

Post by bpgreen » March 2nd, 2021, 1:56 am

Uncharacteristically, there is almost no snow cover. A small patch on the north side of my fence. I usually have full coverage on the whole lawn at this point and a large patch north of the fence into May. I've actually been able to spread spent grains every brew day this winter. Actually, I think I stick them in the fridge for a day once.

I'll be spreading humic acid soon, and hopefully Milorganite with boron.

BuckeyeChuck
Grass Type: Blueberry

Post by BuckeyeChuck » March 2nd, 2021, 6:02 pm

Despite 14 inches of snowfall a couple weeks or so ago almost all the snow in my yard is gone. We don't start mowing until April though - very rarely we start in March. I did a partial survey and found a few areas where the snow pack smashed the grass flat. Looks like I will have some raking when it warms up!

Runnin Tony
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by Runnin Tony » March 3rd, 2021, 12:04 am

It's time! Noticed forsythia buds yesterday and received a notification from greencast today that would temps are at 55.

Drizzling rain tonight, Prodiamine going down tomorrow morning (I think) as long as there isn't too much rain tonight. If not tomorrow then Thursday.

Looking to burn a few stumps this weekend in the back yard and mulling grass/turf in the next year or two to replace the pinestraw and a large flower bed.

Welcome to the new season!

edslawn

Post by edslawn » March 3rd, 2021, 9:07 am

KPersico wrote:
March 1st, 2021, 11:51 pm
Whats everyone plan for March?
Clean up debris and wait for the forsythia to apply prodiamine as a pre-emergent. Avoid the urge to fertilize :no:

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 3rd, 2021, 3:11 pm

I'm still staring at piles of snow, but with a high of 45, it's actually melting off out there. Swatches of grass are now visible, with large areas of snow mold all over them. But they're actually green under the mold. Figure 35% of the lawn is open to the air at this point.

YEM
Level: Novice

Post by YEM » March 8th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Snow mostly melted here in southern CT. Noticed some snow mold this past weekend, which I wouldn’t have known about if not for browsing this forum last year.

Starting to think Pre-M and of course all my local Site Ones don’t have the bag of Dimension I was hoping to grab :banghead:

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by Hammbone81 » March 8th, 2021, 1:29 pm

It's been in the mid 40°F's here for the last week and we're supposed to hit 60°F today with rain later this evening. Most of my snow is gone. Just a little left on the boulevards between the street and sidewalk, and a little on the north side of the house where there's no direct sun.

I went pretty heavy with N in the fall. Not planning to do "too" much for a while. I'll put down some barricade once all the snow is gone. Then I'm thinking about some Humic DG and maybe SBM in a couple weeks?

It's also my first full season with an irrigation system! I'm excited to see an improvement there.

I'm worried about fungus (it's been a problem). Not a fan of fungicides, but wondering if I need to do something in April?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » March 8th, 2021, 2:27 pm

Hammbone, you could post a separate thread, but this is brief enough to answer here.

"Then I'm thinking about some Humic DG and maybe SBM in a couple weeks?"

I think Andy would be OK with the Humic, but it's too early for SBM. Hold that for May first. Grass doesn't want N this early.

"Not a fan of fungicides, but wondering if I need to do something in April?"
If you have a problem (other than snow mold), sure. As a preventative, no--there's no reason to unless there's a definite issue.

edslawn

Post by edslawn » March 9th, 2021, 6:21 pm

65 degrees with a cold beverage on the back patio. Very nice evening here in Central PA.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » March 16th, 2021, 3:48 pm

Lawn was completely exposed one week after 4-6" of snow pack (more down by the street) melted way, then 2-3 inches overnight last night.

Rolling over to catch another two weeks of sleep.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern

Post by Jackson » March 18th, 2021, 12:53 pm

My lawn is green and slowly yawning. Did the fall aggressive plan for the 4th fall. Typically I spoon feed to get things moving - last year I didn’t spoon feed in the spring to see how it affected thing and it looked green eventually but took forever to wake up and start actively growing.

I used my green works dethatcher to get the rest of the thatch in the back yard (filled up the compost area and yard waste bin at the end of last season) and picked up on setting ‘E’ on the Timemaster. Had some space in the yard waste bin so I did the front yard & gave a spoon feeding of N. Looked sharp all cleaned up. Should take off like a rocket ship in the next couple of weeks.