Roundup class action lawsuit

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Roundup class action lawsuit

Post by Hammbone81 » March 8th, 2021, 11:24 am

Perhaps this isn't the correct place for this topic? Let me know.

Are you guys getting emails about taking part in the class action lawsuit against Roundup? What's everyone's general attitude about this?
Seems like this is a bigger deal for farmers, right? Anyone here taking action?

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Roundup class action lawsuit

Post by turf_toes » March 8th, 2021, 12:46 pm

I’m assuming you need to have been diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma to be involved in the lawsuit

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 8th, 2021, 2:45 pm

I'm so sorry if so, Hammbone, and hope you're well.

Hammbone81
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by Hammbone81 » March 8th, 2021, 8:39 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 2:45 pm
I'm so sorry if so, Hammbone, and hope you're well.
I'm fine. Sorry to cause alarm.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » March 8th, 2021, 9:17 pm

Oh, that's a relief! I say so because my cousin does have an incurable form of cancer caused by pesticides. It's in remission and likely to remain so for a very long time...but not forever. He, however, grew up on an orchard and currently owns his half with his brother. I'd actually have to ask as I don't remember the type.

Now that I know I wouldn't be stepping on the toes of somebody ill--which I would never do--no, I haven't been approached and I do use it. I do exercise normal cautions (long pants, long shirt, gloves) as I do with any other pesticide. I don't use it on windy days both to avoid breathing it as well as to avoid overspray.

I didn't find the scientific evidence presented particularly compelling, nor the State of California's response particularly proportionate with the relative risk of the chemical. I haven't evaluated the lawsuit, but I'm not a general fan of class-action lawsuits to begin with. A bit of research will show that they always benefit the lawyers in question and, minimally, those suing.

Not to go off on a rant here as most will tell you I'm actually extremely far left, but half the paints I own have a State of California warning on it that it causes cancer. Fortunately, I'm in Pennsylvania. In the case of my cadmium- and cobalt-based paints, this would be true...if they were spray painted on, or I were dumb enough to sand them off into a fine dust that I then inhaled repeatedly for twenty years or so. Used properly and as in their listed tube state, no. Aluminum cobalt or cadmium sulfide in acrylic medium can be eaten in amounts of up to one ounce without any harm at all. Above that, it's wise to check with a doctor, but nothing's likely to happen, even to a toddler on the off chance that they can choke it down.

I'm not a fan of idiot warnings, but I get that most people really do seem to require them for some reason.

falcon
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG Blend
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by falcon » March 12th, 2021, 10:01 am

Yes, the CA warnings are totally off the rails. Has anyone been to a coffee shop there? I'll give you the punchline now. There's cancer warnings about coffee.