Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
aperugini
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescew
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Tenacity Application Timing Question

Post by aperugini » March 24th, 2021, 8:34 am

Hello everyone,

New member to the forum here. Let me explain my situation. I bought my house 3 years ago. I live in Connecticut. It became evidently clear to me that the previous owner neglected his yard and let weeds take over. I decided I would like to get control of my lawn this year. I am a big DIY'er and feel I can tackle this project myself. After doing some research, I bought Tenacity to try out on my yard. My main question is when would be the best time to add this to my usual yearly lawn routine.

Typically each year I will:
Late April/Early May - Apply a step 1 granular fertilizer with crabgrass preventer in it
Late May - Apply Grub X + Step 2 Weed N Feed
September - Apply 2nd round of Weed N Feed (to give my lawn some nutrients to make it through the cold winter)

Based on my research I am finding it may be best to apply Tenacity in the fall. My plan is to apply it to my whole yard, then overseed the whole yard and apply a starter fertilizer to try and promote the new grass growth. Does everyone agree this would be the best time to apply Tenacity? Is there a good time to apply it near my 2nd application of weed n feed? Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Andrew

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: Tenacity Application Timing Question

Post by andy10917 » March 24th, 2021, 9:08 am

You're looking for a single miracle product that will kill all weeds.

It doesn't exist.

Read and understand the Triangle Approach to weed control, and skip on the weed-and-feed products. Also, get the timing right on pre-emergents - they go down when the Forsythia bloom, and not by the calendar.

I don't know where you got the info that Tenacity is best applied in the Fall.

aperugini
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescew
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by aperugini » March 24th, 2021, 9:43 am

andy10917 wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 9:08 am
You're looking for a single miracle product that will kill all weeds.

It doesn't exist.

Read and understand the Triangle Approach to weed control, and skip on the weed-and-feed products. Also, get the timing right on pre-emergents - they go down when the Forsythia bloom, and not by the calendar.

I don't know where you got the info that Tenacity is best applied in the Fall.
Regarding the fall application, the thought process is that it's easier to grow grass then. So my plan was to use tenacity and overseed then to take advantage of the timing for growing new grass.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » March 24th, 2021, 10:23 am

Andy wrote the triangle approach article, the best time to over-seed is some time around August, and the spring is the perfect time to take care of any weeds in your lawn.

Make sure you find a Forsythia bush in your area and put down your pre-m to take care of crab grass before it comes up. make sure to weigh the pre-m and only put enough down to get you to August, it will be on the label.

Follow the triangle approach and take care of as many weeds as you can.

Get a soil test from logan labs and post it as soon as you can, making sure to add the posts to the testing qeueu. that will determine your fertilizer requirements.

That will get you to the point where you can decide what your next steps should be and will help you plan for an August over-seed or renovation.

This site is great, but its not a list of things to do, its a collection of information that teaches you why you do something, not just when to do it.

When you know why, the list of things you do every year will change as your lawn gets better.

napper
Grass Type: Midnight II, Rhapsody, Blueberry, Bewitched
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by napper » March 24th, 2021, 11:00 am

I always apply Grub-ex between April 15th and May 15th.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000

Post by northeastlawn » March 24th, 2021, 11:12 am

[quote=napper post_id=345809 time=1616598051 user_id=425]
I always apply Grub-ex between April 15th and May 15th.
[/quote]

Thats fine, that won't effect an over-seed or your soil test.

I'd work on the soil test and get your pre-m down. It's early, but things take off quickly as we get to April.

YEM
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Novice

Post by YEM » March 24th, 2021, 11:47 am

northeastlawn wrote:
March 24th, 2021, 10:23 am
This site is great, but its not a list of things to do, its a collection of information that teaches you why you do something, not just when to do it.

When you know why, the list of things you do every year will change as your lawn gets better.
I think this is great advice for the OP. I've spent the past year or so lurking, constantly directed here from google searches to find answers or explanations for my questions.

I won't comment on the Tenacity usage before an overseed, but maybe I can add a few links to help with the rest of your approach.

As the others have said, look for the forsythia blooming for when to apply your crabgrass pre-emergent. I'm also in CT and have a picture of mine in full bloom from April 1 last year, so maybe it'll happen soon. This post describes (what I think it a typical) spring approach without the weed n feed.
viewtopic.php?p=339739#p339739

Regarding your GrubEx Timing, I found this article from a thread last year
https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/how_to_ch ... _your_lawn
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25451&p=337408&hili ... ex#p337408

Regarding your fall winterizing solutions, I'd read through this thread. Even without following Andy's aggressive approach there, it gives a lot of background about what to consider for the fall.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=15109&hilit=urea#p205389