This Weed Has Taken Over -- What is it?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
sam1220
Grass Type: NoMix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

This Weed Has Taken Over -- What is it?

Post by sam1220 » April 6th, 2021, 9:57 am

I normally don't have issues with widespread weeds, especially this time of the year here in PA. But this year, I feel live I woke up and this stuff is everywhere. For some reason it's all throughout certain areas and its growing with a vengeance. I hit it with a 3-way hose-end mixture for the past 2 weeks and that only seems to have made it more mad and more aggressive!

Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: This Weed Has Taken Over -- What is it?

Post by andy10917 » April 6th, 2021, 12:40 pm

Chickweed.

Ortho "Clover, Chickweed and Oxalis Killer" or any product with 8% or more of Triclopyr will do in in. Note that the kill is not a 3-4 day thing - CCO causes damage in 10-14 days and it may take 2 doses to kill it. Don't slam it again after only 7 days because "it ain't working".

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » April 6th, 2021, 1:31 pm

Thanks, Andy!

Any idea why it would just all of a sudden one year show up everywhere? Did one of my jealous neighbors through a handful of chickweed seeds on my lawn or something?

I did 10-10-10 applications 3 times, micronutrients, Milo, even some compost to increase OM. I feel like I have more Chickweed than grass this year, and right next to the house where there was bare dirt it's growing like a bush!

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 6th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Any idea why it would just all of a sudden one year show up everywhere? Did one of my jealous neighbors through a handful of chickweed seeds on my lawn or something?
Any ideas?? Sure!! Some chickweed seeds came in contact with the soil. Any thinking beyond that is mental masturbation. Your time is better spent locating CCO, and applying it.

sam1220

Post by sam1220 » April 6th, 2021, 6:53 pm

Any ideas?? Sure!! Some chickweed seeds came in contact with the soil. Any thinking beyond that is mental masturbation. Your time is better spent locating CCO, and applying it.
Hilarious! CCO located, two hose end bottles. Going on tonight!

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by pristinegreen75 » April 14th, 2021, 11:00 am

sam1220 wrote:
April 6th, 2021, 9:57 am
I normally don't have issues with widespread weeds, especially this time of the year here in PA. But this year, I feel live I woke up and this stuff is everywhere. For some reason it's all throughout certain areas and its growing with a vengeance. I hit it with a 3-way hose-end mixture for the past 2 weeks and that only seems to have made it more mad and more aggressive!

Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.

I'm west of you in Central Jersey and I have the same issue this year. I had just a few chickweed here and there last year but it exploded this spring! I sprayed it yesterday with CCO and went through almost a quart of it. That usually lasts me a summer for ALL the weeds. Geez....thinking it had to be the winter weather we had this past year?? I dunno. Andy is correct. CCO will take it out s l o w l y.