Grass is lumpy

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Grass is lumpy

Post by edslawn » April 7th, 2021, 1:25 pm

I'm not sure that I have a concern, but did want to share an observation on my lawn. So I'm in my third year of fall nitrogen treatments, with last year following the aggressive approach for the first time. I've also been using a fall and spring application of prodiamine and also doing a few years of soil conditioning. So far so good...

The thing that I wanted to share is the more rapid green up this year and the improved density of the grass has been a pleasant surprise. I still have a lot of work to do, but some positive feedback on the effort is great. The odd part is that I recently upgraded my factory mulching blades to Oregon gator G6 on a Cub XT3 tractor. I saw these blades pulverize leaves last fall, but the grass had largely stopped growing when I installed them. This year I'm finally seeing them really hit substantial grass. With this thicker grass and the pulverizing mulching, the grass is ending up with a lot of sticky little piles of very fine particles that don't easily blow off with the leaf blower.

I have never seen anything like this. Is this normal as you mulch grass with a thicker healthier lawn?

starpartyguy
Grass Type: tall fescue
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Re: Grass is lumpy

Post by starpartyguy » April 7th, 2021, 8:36 pm

My gator blades leave clumps too. I’d say raise the blade as high as you can if you have tttf. And try to cut more often. My Cub cadet goes up to 3.5 inches. Blow the clumps across the lawn to let them settle in.

It goes without saying, make sure your blades are sharp.

edslawn
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: Grass is lumpy

Post by edslawn » April 8th, 2021, 7:41 am

starpartyguy wrote:
April 7th, 2021, 8:36 pm
My gator blades leave clumps too. I’d say raise the blade as high as you can if you have tttf. And try to cut more often. My Cub cadet goes up to 3.5 inches. Blow the clumps across the lawn to let them settle in.

It goes without saying, make sure your blades are sharp.
I know what you mean about waiting too long to cut and the grass overwhelms the mower and piles. This was more small almost sticky piles of fine grass. Even my backpack leaf blower was having trouble clearing it off the driveway. I probably do need to cut more and I'll take pictures next time.