Pulling POA

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Pulling POA

Post by PSU4ME » April 9th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Does anyone pull out you annua patches this time of year? Mine are very surface oriented and I can pull it out like a carpet, it comes right off my where it runs into the grass, the grass is well rooted.

I feel like it’s a good thing and I should get a rake to pull it up then spray tenacity.

Just me or do others experience this?

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Re: Pulling POA

Post by northeastlawn » April 9th, 2021, 6:19 pm

I grabbed one of those groundskeeper 2 rakes. Its not quite as damaging as a de-thatcher, but you will be surprised how much dead stuff you pull out of the lawn with it.

When I used the groundskeeper rake this year, I had tons of dried up, yellow poa-a seed heads in the rakings. The same yellow poa-a that some how seems to come back to life every spring from getting scorched in the summer.

This year my plan is to rake again around May 1st, then drop my second pre-m. Crab grass isn't an issue, but poa-a is, so Ill try and agressivly pull it before the KBG goes to seed and ID'ing the poa-a gets harder.

Brian M
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG

Post by Brian M » April 9th, 2021, 6:33 pm

Funny, I just posted my own questions about poa lol. Mine must be deeply rooted, I cannot easily pull them out. I’m thinking of digging them out, brining I. Some soil and planting some prg as a place holder till fall and re seed. But don’t listen to me, I know nothing about grass 🤣😂

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » April 9th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Guys, please try to remember that Poa is not one thing. When talking about Poa as a weed, there is Poa Annua and Poa Triv - and they are quite different. If we wanted to get technical, KBG is a Poa too (Poa Pratensis).

"Poa A" and "Poa T" is clear enough, but just "Poa" leaves newer members thinking it's all one thing...

PSU4ME
Grass Type: Front: Bewitched/Midnight/Everglade Back: Midnight/Diva/Everest

Re: Pulling POA (Annua)

Post by PSU4ME » April 10th, 2021, 6:43 am

I’m talking about Annua, which I called out in the first sentence. I’ll get some pictures of the patches today. It come up really easy for some reason.