Controlling a lesser Celandine

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Controlling a lesser Celandine

Post by Pway » April 11th, 2021, 1:45 pm

Has any one had success if controlling Lesser Celandine? I see most university extension sites say only roundup will control it while a couple say triclopyr or a three-way will work. I have a friend who recently bought their house and the backyard is totally infested with it. Thanks

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Controlling a lesser Celandine

Post by MorpheusPA » April 11th, 2021, 4:09 pm

(cough) try Tenacity (cough).

(cough) At your own risk, if that doesn't work, add a tablespoon of DMSO (dimethylsufloxide) to the mix. It won't harm grass, but you absolutely must wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, and impenetrable gloves like rubber, latex, or nitrile while applying this. And shower immediately afterward. And I'd suggest a full face shield. Because the DMSO will cause the Tenacity to penetrate your skin. Again, do this at your own risk. (cough)

Pway

Post by Pway » April 11th, 2021, 4:18 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 4:09 pm

(cough) At your own risk, if that doesn't work, add a tablespoon of DMSO (dimethylsufloxide) to the mix. It won't harm grass, but you absolutely must wear long pants, long sleeved shirt, and impenetrable gloves like rubber, latex, or nitrile while applying this. And shower immediately afterward. And I'd suggest a full face shield. Because the DMSO will cause the Tenacity to penetrate your skin. Again, do this at your own risk. (cough)
Many thanks! Morph!

Pway

Post by Pway » April 11th, 2021, 7:27 pm

Pway wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 4:18 pm
MorpheusPA wrote:
April 11th, 2021, 4:09 pm

Many thanks! Morph!
Morph, I should add that I appreciate the cautionary note. I strictly adhere to use of safety equipment/apparel as per the label. If I do the DMSO I will totally adhere to your guidance and accept that this is a personal choice.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG

Post by Masbustelo » April 11th, 2021, 8:56 pm

Morpheous I'm not familiar with Lesser or Greater Celandine. Is the DMSO something that is specific to Celandine problems or theoretically an admix that would theoretically, perhaps be advantageous to Poa Trivialis treatment?

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 12th, 2021, 12:11 am

DMSO is a penetrant that will render most herbicides incredibly more effective in most cases.

Now a warning. Because it'll also carry them right through your skin as though your skin were tissue paper. I treat this stuff as though it could kill me, because it can. By itself, it's fairly harmless in pure form (LD50 14,500 mg/kg, about half as toxic as ethanol). I don't make a general habit of using more than a whisper.

I quote directly here: "DMSO is thought to increase the effects of blood thinners, steroids, heart medicines, sedatives, and other drugs." Nitrile is OK for brief (or diluted) contact, but will dissolve in the stuff. So...yeah, the gloves I wear to handle lye won't handle DMSO.

Note, the stuff turns to "ice" at about 65 degrees. Warm the bottle indoors or in your hands just a bit to melt it back to a liquid.