August seed - Sept Pre-M

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

August seed - Sept Pre-M

Post by JeffreyLebowski » April 15th, 2021, 11:01 am

Morning all - long time reader first time poster. I did a full aerate/reseed last fall (90/10 TTTF/KBG) and it came out fantastic. I did not use a fall pre-m.

This spring I have some POA-A going on for the first time, possibly due to my aeration. I use Prodiamine in spring for crabgrass but this is my first experience with the POA. I plan on handpulling as much as I can, however if I have to use RU obviously I will have to seed those areas.

Has anyone tried an early reseed (around August 1, with starter fert/meso) and then putting Dithiopyr around September 15 for the POA-A? This is when my zip code hits 70 degree soil temp on average. I know this is trying to have it both ways. :banghead:

Thanks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: August seed - Sept Pre-M

Post by MorpheusPA » April 16th, 2021, 10:17 pm

You...well, you can, but you can also expect some losses on your new grasses, which can open up the new lawn to P. annua sprout you wouldn't otherwise have gotten, including right through the pre-em (seriously, P. annua is pernicious stuff).

Trying to have it both ways sometimes means you don't get it either way.

Which, for the second time tonight, sounds dirty somehow.

What I might do is go with starter with meso, then apply that again a month later. You're allowed to use it 3 times in one season, so it's within the listed usage.

That will mature your lawn enough that you can use something else, or push the season far enough along that nothing will be germinating.

JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: August seed - Sept Pre-M

Post by JeffreyLebowski » April 17th, 2021, 10:08 am

Thanks Morph. Thats a good idea. The starter/meso was a home run last fall. A few weeds tried to punch through my new stand and immediately turned white.