When or tackle Poa annua

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

When or tackle Poa annua

Post by Pway » April 19th, 2021, 6:01 pm

I have battled Poa annua for several years and have had good results in my front yard in a shady area by spraying Tenacity to kill it and Dimesnion to suppress new germination. I also have a large patches (maybe 100’ by 6’) in the back closer to the house and patio. Last late summer I skipped Dimension to try to overseed the area in the back—big mistake. I lost the progress I had been making in the back and now have tons of seed heads. So I will definitely put down Dimension in late August but wonder if it is worth hitting with Tenacity now. It’ll look like hell for the summer if I do but maybe that’s the best course? Thanks in advance for opinions.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: When or tackle Poa annua

Post by andy10917 » April 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm

I will definitely put down Dimension in late August but wonder if it is worth hitting with Tenacity now.

If by the above you mean a one-and-done application, it''s destined to fail. If you mean a well-planned and executed regimen, you can be pretty successful.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000

Post by MorpheusPA » April 19th, 2021, 7:47 pm

Yep. Like depression, the right time to tackle Poa annua is always "now." I see it, I'm spraying it. Although I do tend to try to weaken it before summer and before winter.

Here in PA, it's always before summer or before winter, so that's easy. Right now, we're just out of winter and just before summer. The annual onslaught of three or four bits is underway, but if I ignored it, it would rapidly explode.

I may...accidentally...treat about fifteen feet over all three property lines as well. You know, my sprayer wand just...slips...and I walk that extra five steps. With the owner's blessing ("You could spray the whole yard if you wanted") in all cases.

Pway
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Pway » April 20th, 2021, 8:07 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 7:05 pm
I will definitely put down Dimension in late August but wonder if it is worth hitting with Tenacity now.

If by the above you mean a one-and-done application, it''s destined to fail. If you mean a well-planned and executed regimen, you can be pretty successful.
Yes, I mean multiple applications while staying under the per application and annual limits. Unfortunately this is right off the great room and patio so I’ll see it at every turn.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » April 20th, 2021, 9:09 am

I've had good luck with the 4 oz/acre rate on a 14-day cycle. I've also had luck with the 2 oz/acre rate on a 7-day cycle.