PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Re: Lime green patches

Post by PALawnGuy5 » April 22nd, 2021, 7:32 am

andy10917 wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 9:44 pm
It certainly looks like the dreaded one.
I slowly pulled the blade back to get a better look at the ligule/sheath

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by gordon » April 23rd, 2021, 12:20 pm

PaLawnGuy - Following along here...What will you be doing next?

PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by PALawnGuy5 » April 23rd, 2021, 4:03 pm

gordon wrote:
April 23rd, 2021, 12:20 pm
PaLawnGuy - Following along here...What will you be doing next?
Still debating my next steps.

I did buy some nitrile and cotton gloves with some glyphosate to do the glove-in-glove method for some spot treatments. I also bought a few trays to grow my open sod patches to replace small sections this year if i decide to go that route. I wanted to avoid nuking large sections because i don't have the time right now for a full overhaul.

gordon
Grass Type: KBG Sideyard fall 2009:Midnight, Moonlight, Bedazzled Front and Backyard Fall 2015: Midnight, Bedazzled, Blueberry

Post by gordon » April 24th, 2021, 9:41 pm

I bought a pro plugger last year that has been great for filling in sections as needed. I will need to do the same thing in certain areas this year as well.....

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » April 25th, 2021, 1:30 am

I think I found the limit on Tenacity in the can, so to speak. Three years or so. I mixed a new batch today and resprayed some of what I previously sprayed myself.

But yeah, it just took 3 years to use (most of) a gallon of mix.

gordon

Post by gordon » April 25th, 2021, 9:37 pm

Morpheus,

Once the offending sections light up, I think I read that you will respray in 30 days? How often is this repeated? What else is involved? I will be spraying mine this week...thanks in advance.

Gordon

PS..I went to Albright's yesterday...

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 26th, 2021, 1:53 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 11:05 pm
I've found Tenacity to work very well--when using very soft water and adding extra non-ionic surfactant (spreader sticker) to it. Get the cheapest distilled from the grocery store if you have to, if your water is even slightly hard or is chemically softened. Mine is not, it's some of the softest in the nation naturally.

I--uh--enhance it a little bit, but let's leave that alone for now. It's kind of dangerous if you're not careful.
Would you mind sharing how much surfactant you use? Also, any chance you would be willing to share (or give a hint regarding) your enhancement?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 26th, 2021, 2:33 pm

gordon wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 9:37 pm
Morpheus,

Once the offending sections light up, I think I read that you will respray in 30 days? How often is this repeated? What else is involved? I will be spraying mine this week...thanks in advance.

Gordon

Once. Usually that's all it needs. So an April/May combo. With a September/October combo on anything new, or anything that did manage to survive.

As per the other question, I usually double the Turbo, or whatever spreader sticker I'm using (I just ran out of Turbo and started with another brand. It's pretty much all the same).

The enhancement I use is DMSO, which we do discuss around here.

southern-ct-4
Grass Type: PR/FF/KBG

Post by southern-ct-4 » April 26th, 2021, 2:42 pm

Thank you. Do you have a specific amount you add for this purpose? I'll search the site as well for more info.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 26th, 2021, 2:56 pm

1 tsp to 1 Tbsp depending on the herbicide. For Tenacity, 1 Tbsp.

And again, always wear long pants, relatively impenetrable. A long shirt. Impenetrable gloves. Goggles, because mucus membranes are easily penetrated. And I strongly advise a face shield because of your nose and mouth--or at least a mask (fortunately, those are easily gotten these days). This makes the herbicide easily penetrate the weed...or you.

I have a lab coat I wear to make soap because it's coated to be water-repellant (the lye would hit the floor, not me) I wear that, nitrile gloves, my face shield, and reverse venting goggles. I look like something from the CDC.

umbo514
Grass Type: Northern Mix

Post by umbo514 » April 27th, 2021, 8:51 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 11:05 pm
Howdy, neighbor. I always find P. triv easier to control, personally, so I'm not sure why people dread it so much. P. annua is the one I can't get a handle on. Maybe it just leaves me alone out of professional courtesy?

But yeah, P. triv. Definitely keep a pre-emergent barrier up as much of the year as possible, rotating chemistry if you have to. Be absolutely killer on the stuff. I've found Tenacity to work very well--when using very soft water and adding extra non-ionic surfactant (spreader sticker) to it. Get the cheapest distilled from the grocery store if you have to, if your water is even slightly hard or is chemically softened. Mine is not, it's some of the softest in the nation naturally.

I--uh--enhance it a little bit, but let's leave that alone for now. It's kind of dangerous if you're not careful.
Morpheus, any chance adding a tracker dye would affect the solution?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 27th, 2021, 8:57 pm

Trackers are not supposed to impact the solution, so they should be just fine.

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » April 27th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Thanks for the info Morpheus

umbo514

Post by umbo514 » April 28th, 2021, 9:19 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 2:33 pm
gordon wrote:
April 25th, 2021, 9:37 pm
Morpheus,

Gordon

Once. Usually that's all it needs. So an April/May combo. With a September/October combo on anything new, or anything that did manage to survive.

As per the other question, I usually double the Turbo, or whatever spreader sticker I'm using (I just ran out of Turbo and started with another brand. It's pretty much all the same).

The enhancement I use is DMSO, which we do discuss around here.
Before I knew about adding non ionic surfactant and DI water, I spot sprayed tenacity at 4 oz rate on my triv patches. I waited 10 days and hit them again w/ a 4 oz rate (still no DI & non ionic surfactant). 10 days after my 2nd spray, they're out growing surrounding grass, but ghost white. Any recommendations to hit them again? I just got in my non ionic surfactant and piked up some DI water.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 28th, 2021, 12:55 pm

If they're white, it's working! You can wait a month and see what happens.

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » April 28th, 2021, 10:18 pm

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 12:27 am
This year, I have 2 teeny patches of triv, and 3 of annua that crawled over the line from the neighbors'. There are 300 patches next door (I'm actually underestimating), of which I sprayed about 25 closest to the line.

I spray in April when I see it, and if it's still living (it usually isn't), and again in late May just before summer starts to come on in eastern PA (June can vary and either be a spring month, a summer month, or some of both). It usually won't come back after that, but if I see it again (usually in September), it gets a shot again. And again in October before winter.

Summer? Ignore. Winter, also ignore. It's not particularly active.

Since my sprays tend to be light, I'm still not hitting the per-patch levels for the year. Seriously, Tenacity is powerful stuff. Just a whisper works when you're using enough soap and good water; I made my gallon two years ago and am just running out again. I use it on most tough weeds. I'm still using the first little bottle of Tenacity I bought the month it came out.

As I said, I do add stuff to enhance the Tenacity spray (and other organic herbicides) but...unless you're prepared to follow more stringent rules, don't do that. It increases your risk significantly and you do have to be careful.
Morph - just how light are you spraying/applying? In addition to distilled or (non-chemically softened) soft water and a non-ionic surficant, anything else? Thanks.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 29th, 2021, 12:07 pm

Fairly lightly. Probably close to the 2 oz/K rate, but I might go to 4 on a patch on the neighbors' yard where I don't plan on striking it again.

As noted, I do use DMSO, but...be really careful if you add that. Really, really careful. Mask. Gloves. Goggles. Long pants and shirt. Shower instantly afterward. If you spill on yourself, it's an emergency.

71GTO
Grass Type: Northern mix

Post by 71GTO » April 29th, 2021, 3:14 pm

Hi Morpheus, I just wanted to clarify, If you use Tenacity, Distilled water and an Non-ionic surfactant a treat a few times it will kill or suppress POA Triv?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » April 29th, 2021, 4:19 pm

So I've found, anyway, but other people make differing claims. It turns white and scared, and dies on me in one or two sprays. I get great control on P. annua and P. trivialis.

But others don't seem to be able to replicate my results consistently. Some yes, some no. The softest water seems to be part of the key to it, though--and proper attention to the spray timing. Don't let it recover.

I also don't irrigate during summer, which certainly isn't creating a good environment for survival of either species during our July and August weather...

ronfitch
Grass Type: original: I don't know; overseed: Kentucky Bluegrass
Lawn Size: 5000-10000

Post by ronfitch » April 30th, 2021, 12:49 am

MorpheusPA wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 12:07 pm
Fairly lightly. Probably close to the 2 oz/K rate, but I might go to 4 on a patch on the neighbors' yard where I don't plan on striking it again.

As noted, I do use DMSO, but...be really careful if you add that. Really, really careful. Mask. Gloves. Goggles. Long pants and shirt. Shower instantly afterward. If you spill on yourself, it's an emergency.
Thanks. I did not catch your earlier mention of DMSO upthread - will research it.