Help with grassy weed identification

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
bazilbrush
Grass Type: Dead
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Help with grassy weed identification

Post by bazilbrush » May 3rd, 2021, 1:58 pm

This grass/ weed has invaded my New Jersey lawn. They are everywhere. It is woody/clumpy, sprawls outwards and is currently starting to seed. The lawn is fescue. Any help on ID/ how to selectively kill this is appreciated.

Aether
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Level: Experienced

Re: Help with grassy weed identification

Post by Aether » May 3rd, 2021, 3:03 pm

It's poa trivialis. No labeled residential lawn selective herbicide that I know of. You'll need to either dig it up to also include the roots, then sod or re-seed. Or spray non-selective glyphosate to kill it and it's roots, multiple spray applications a week apart may be necessary for a total kill.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 3rd, 2021, 9:28 pm

Yup, textbook Triv. Dig out and/or kill (I prefer the latter and I also use multiple glyphosate apps with Ammonium sulfate and non-ionic surfactant added in) it now. Unless of course you like/want it in your lawn (but it doesn't sound that way!). Thankfully, it's still in the one-plant or a few-plants stage in that defined area. You can tell due to the central clump and outward spreading stems. The base portions of those stems near the soil will eventually tack down and form stolons. Once it starts spreading into the neighboring turf, it's hard to contain.

bazilbrush
Grass Type: Dead
Level: Some Experience

Post by bazilbrush » May 4th, 2021, 7:46 am

Thank you. If I kill this with Glypho now, will I have bald spots in the lawn all summer where it used to be? How would I rehab those areas please?