Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
patflemming
Grass Type: KBG, PR, FF
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Question about spot application rates

Post by patflemming » May 14th, 2021, 10:37 am

Hello,

Got me some Tenacity and I was a bit confused with the applicate rates on the bottle.

For blanket apps, it's pretty clear. I can apply at a rate of 4-8 oz per acre in at least 30 gals.

For spot applications, it's 1 tsp in 2 gals for 1000 sqft. This part confuses me. I measured out my lawn in 1000 sqft sections. Am i supposed to blanket spray the entire 2 gals over the 1000 sqft? Or am I supposed to only spot spray the weeds? If the latter, then how do I know when I sprayed 1000 sqft of weeds? If I only spray the weeds, i'm left with a lot of spraymix left over.

I am targeting mostly broadleaf weeds (dandelions)

thanks all

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Question about spot application rates

Post by turf_toes » May 14th, 2021, 11:27 am

For heavens sake, why would you buy Tenacity to take out dandelions and such?

That’s like buying a multimillion dollar Abrams tank to take out a bank robber.

There are cheaper and just as effective ways to rid yourself of broadleaf weeds.

I know Tenacity is discussed a lot here. But it’s normally used against harder-to-kill grassy weeds. Yes it can deal with dandelions. But it is no more effective at that than some broadleaf weed killer you can buy at any hardware or box store.

I see you are in Canada. So unless Tenacity is the only weed killer available (legally) in your area, I’d suggest holding the Tenacity for more serious lawn problems and look into more affordable options.

It is a lot more expensive than the off-the-shelf broadleaf weed killer. though.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 14th, 2021, 12:50 pm

True that. Simple Weed B Gon will do the trick much cheaper.

However, as far as application goes on things that WBG wouldn't take out, yes, you'd essentially spread that 2 gallons over 1,000 square feet as best you could. That sounds like a very light spray, and it is--this stuff goes very, very far.

Nobody really does that, it's used as a spot or small area spray in the 1 or 2 gallon sprayer. There, pump it up and pass the wand on fine spray over the area at modest speed. It really only takes a fine mist on a spot or evenly applied to an area to do the job. You'll get a feel for it pretty fast; fine mist to damp the weed.

Remember to add surfactant (like Turbo Spreader Sticker or any other spreader sticker on the market, they're all the same--but they're not simple soaps or detergents, they're made for herbicides so as to not interact, which soap and stuff like Dawn will). I tend to add double the recommended Turbo and it really seems to help. I even add Turbo to things that don't need it, like RoundUp and Weed B Gon.

patflemming
Grass Type: KBG, PR, FF

Post by patflemming » May 14th, 2021, 5:21 pm

Thanks all for the replies. Availability is a bit of a factor but I decided to try tenacity because it's low application rates. I'm on a well and have young kids. From what I've read, it's less toxic than 2,4D. I will say that I've used 2,4D last season with good results but didnt like the high mixing ratios and the smell. In the grand scheme of things, a bit more money for tenacity which will go a long way.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 15th, 2021, 5:54 pm

You will certainly find that Tenacity takes out the dandelions and it's absolutely much less toxic. It's also pretty scentless, so that's a plus, too!