To Seed or Not to Seed?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Smolenski7
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

To Seed or Not to Seed?

Post by Smolenski7 » May 14th, 2021, 9:16 pm

I have a ton of shaded areas that I would love to spot seed this weekend, they are driving me nuts! However, I know that planting seed in May is tough come summer. However, since these areas are shaded, do I really have to worry about the heat of summer?

JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Re: To Seed or Not to Seed?

Post by JeffreyLebowski » May 14th, 2021, 10:00 pm

I say go for it. You might lose some seedlings in the heat. To me, its worth a few bucks in seed.

I get random sprouts of grass in my flower beds and pavers all the time, in all conditions except the dead of winter. This is due to me wildly slinging grass seed all over my property. My opinion is 100% anecdotal and non scientific, but I believe grass can pretty much grow anywhere at anytime.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » May 15th, 2021, 12:57 am

Seeding in shade in CT in May is generally not an issue as far as the grass frying in the Summer if your soil is good. It's not likely to be a big factor. You might fight disease, though. I have seeded in near full sun in May and have no qualms about that either (other than having to keep up with the watering every day for a while), and have done it year after year for a few years now because I can't live with dead spots (from RU) all season. As a bonus, if your Spring seeded grass makes it through Summer, it tyen has a leg up over a standard late Summer seeding (more maturity and heat tolerance, especially by the following Summer). It's not perfect always, though. I have had Spring seeded grass stall out and basically pout until sometime in late August and then begin to grow slowly. Sometimes you just have to do it, though. Temper your expectations and stay the course.

ds_nh
Grass Type: KBG, Fescue, Rye

Post by ds_nh » May 24th, 2021, 8:03 pm

"Temper your expectations and stay the course" is a life lesson in it's own.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » May 24th, 2021, 9:57 pm

For CT? Yep. And expect to water through the summer...