Sharing my thoughts about TTTF

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sharing my thoughts about TTTF

Post by s1mpl3k1d » June 1st, 2021, 11:56 am

My SS1000 in frontyard is about 8 months old now. Mmm, It's ok. My lawn was the first one to green in spring and it was beautiful. However, I honestly still like my KBG. In fact if you recall my KBG backyard last year, it got killed by grubs. About 20% recovered. Around April, I decided that this coming August, I will kill the backyard and plant SS1000. However, a month later which is today, I feel like not planting SS1000 anymore. The blades are becoming lighter in color. I mean it's green(not lime or applegreen) but I prefer the dark bluish green of KBG. The SS1000 is just plain green.

Your guess was right! I decided that I will be planting KBG at the back. Anyways, it's been more than 10 years since I chose the kbg sod quality seeds. Which at least 3 varieties for zip 60142(northwest part of IL) would you recommend? I guess I should look at NTEP but would love to hear your experiences with the kbg you picked. I want bluish dark green again! 🤣

turf_toes
Grass Type: 77% Blueberry/23% Midnight Star KBG in front. Bewitched KBG monostand in back.

Re: Sharing my thoughts about TTTF

Post by turf_toes » June 1st, 2021, 12:04 pm

I’d suggest weighting your advice from other people living in your area.

What works for me in my part of the country may be a terrible selection in your area.

That’s why NTEP is such a valuable tool.

You can select what works best in your area.

s1mpl3k1d
Grass Type: KGB Emblem, Midnight II entire lawn

Post by s1mpl3k1d » June 1st, 2021, 12:21 pm

Cool! Thanks a lot turf_toes! So glad to see you!

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

Post by northeastlawn » June 1st, 2021, 1:46 pm

I'll chime in just because I just planted some SS1002 (Shade Tolerant TTTF) in a large front hell strip. I wanted to try some TTTF because it has deeper roots and I got sick of watering the "mutt" grass that was there before.

I planted March 20th; and had really good germination by May 1st, but even now June 1st, its not really taking off. It had a "sprout and pout" period that seemed to rival the KBG in my backyard. It could be the sun and shade conditions on the north side, or it could be the TTTF, but so far it seems more like growing KBG than the quick growing grass like PR.

I think it will be OK, I just need to give it time, but its nothing like PR. probably more like FF in that you wont get the grass you want until the following season. I did a FF reno one fall that looked terrible in october, but by the following June was amazing. I'd hold off and see where you are at come farther's day.

For some reason my lawn always peaks around Farther's Day, then slows down.

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by rxrep » June 5th, 2021, 5:15 pm

If you want Blue Green go with Midnight. Both me and my neighbor have a Midnight monostand. We have the darkest, thickest best lawns in the development. People walking their dogs will comment that our lawns are the best they've seen. On the NTEP, year after year, Midnight is always near the top in terms of color and quality. The uniformity you will get with a monostand can't be beat. Here is the 2016 NTEP for a location in Illinois close to you. https://ntep.org/data/kb11/kb11_17-9/kb11il116t.txt Notice where Midnight ranks? Look at the color rating. Do you see anything higher? Lol. Now Midnight like any other turf grass is not perfect. Main criticisms are: Like almost any KBG it is slow to develop, SO you need patience. Midnight types have a later spring green-up BUT I have found a way around this by mowing mine down to 2 inches 3rd week of March and fertilizing with turf builder to wake it up MUCH sooner. Finally, you can get some rust in the spring and fall, and some Leaf spot in late spring. I'm using fungicides now as preventative and voila! - no problem. That's my experience here in Southern NJ. Here is a pic I just took of my neighbors lawn. He just mowed it today (mine not mowed yet). Good Luck.

spectrum1c
Grass Type: KBG front yard, Tall Fescue backyard
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Post by spectrum1c » July 9th, 2021, 10:58 pm

rxrep wrote:
June 5th, 2021, 5:15 pm
If you want Blue Green go with Midnight. Both me and my neighbor have a Midnight monostand. We have the darkest, thickest best lawns in the development. People walking their dogs will comment that our lawns are the best they've seen. On the NTEP, year after year, Midnight is always near the top in terms of color and quality. The uniformity you will get with a monostand can't be beat. Here is the 2016 NTEP for a location in Illinois close to you. https://ntep.org/data/kb11/kb11_17-9/kb11il116t.txt Notice where Midnight ranks? Look at the color rating. Do you see anything higher? Lol. Now Midnight like any other turf grass is not perfect. Main criticisms are: Like almost any KBG it is slow to develop, SO you need patience. Midnight types have a later spring green-up BUT I have found a way around this by mowing mine down to 2 inches 3rd week of March and fertilizing with turf builder to wake it up MUCH sooner. Finally, you can get some rust in the spring and fall, and some Leaf spot in late spring. I'm using fungicides now as preventative and voila! - no problem. That's my experience here in Southern NJ. Here is a pic I just took of my neighbors lawn. He just mowed it today (mine not mowed yet). Good Luck.

your lawn looks great. How did you get that groove between the concrete and your lawn? It makes it look so crisp

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by Masbustelo » July 10th, 2021, 3:09 am

I don't live too far from the original poster and have Mazama. It has great genetic 7.7 dark color and is doing well in shady areas. I'm very pleased with it.

hazard209
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, TTTF Mix
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by hazard209 » July 10th, 2021, 3:52 pm

Bluebank has been doing great in my yard in Southwestern PA (6B) but I do have it mixed with PRG and TTTF.