Which broad leaf treatment is best for new yard?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
flyin-lowe
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Which broad leaf treatment is best for new yard?

Post by flyin-lowe » June 1st, 2021, 12:43 pm

This spring a planted an acre of TTTF in Indiana. For various reasons I had to to it this spring and not in the fall as I would have liked to have done. So far it is coming in good, given the fact I have to rely solely on rain for water. Anyway, once I have mowed it enough I will be treating with some type of weed killer to help thin out the weeds with the plans to over seed this fall. I didn't know if there was one type of weed killer that is better to use on new lawn. Since I have a large lawn (5 acres) and DIY, I usually use 2 4D or Trimec. I am curious what you would recommend to use as the first general broadleaf treatment. I have a friend who sprays lawns so I could have access to "professional grade" stuff if there is something out there that is better but not available at a big box store.

This is the last acre of my 5 acre renovation I have been doing for several years. This is the first one I have done in the spring and the first one I have had to battle the weeds....

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Which broad leaf treatment is best for new yard?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2021, 1:59 pm

Generally, we recommend a wide-spectrum one for homeowners with broadleaf issues (see the Triangle Approach article for a lot more information). Something like Weed B Gon or one of the other WBG products like Crabgrass Control would be perfect for a first shot.

Weed B Gon: 2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 8.66%, Dicamba 0.37%, MCPP-P, DMA salt 2.13%

Weed B Gon Crabgrass: 2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 6.42%, Dicamba, dimethylamine salt 0.6%, Quinclorac 2.13%

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » June 1st, 2021, 4:23 pm

Do you recommend the Weed B Gone over this stuff? I already have some handy. Obviously I want to kill the weeds but I want what ever will be the easiest on the new grass.

https://www.amazon.com/PBI-GORDON-Kille ... 193&sr=8-7

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2021, 5:40 pm

If you're targeting around the same dilution on the lawn, it's all about the same anyway. I don't see the instructions easily available and I'd have to do all the math, but if it works out the same, it's the same.

Without the other ingredients, it might not kill some things the WBG would kill, but that's not really a problem for a first strike.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 1st, 2021, 8:39 pm

It seems to me that you're really asking "which brand is better?", and that's not a great question. There are a couple of questions that ARE valid, but you didn't bring enough information to consider them. The best question is "what INGREDIENT will treat the weeds that I have?". You didn't mention the types of weeds you have. It's not about brands - it's about the ingredients.

That's why Morph brought up the Triangle Approach. The triangle says that when you have lots of weeds (which you may not be able to name) of different types, use a broad-spectrum weed killer (generally a 3-way herbicide) that kills many weed types. Then go after the survivors with a different herbicide. Please note that there is no weed killer that will kill all weeds without killing the grass too.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » June 1st, 2021, 10:26 pm

I probably was "inadvertantly" asking which brand is best, without meaning to ask which brand is best. I had been told that getting bottle of straight 2-4-d similar to what I linked above, or many of the other 2-4-d's available, even when diluted per the directions were stronger then using Weed B Gone or Spectracide or some of the other weed killers available that contain 2-4-D. So I guess maybe my question should be is 2-4-D the best first step to knock out a the variety of weeds I have or would something else do be better for the grass itself?

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 1st, 2021, 11:00 pm

It's a good first choice, as far as I'm concerned, and a good selection for the grass you have (northern mix--or KBG, fescue, and rye, most likely). 2,4-D will form an effective first strike on a lot of broadleaf weeds.

Some weeds, no. It won't touch crabgrass, oxalis, clover, chickweed, and so on. But watch dandelion up 'n' die.

It was why I suggested a slightly wider spectrum one above that was compatible with your lawn, but if you already own the herbicide you linked, that's fine too. Even the one I suggested won't do for oxalis, clover, or chickweed.

flyin-lowe

Post by flyin-lowe » June 1st, 2021, 11:20 pm

Thanks for the advice. So far I couldn't have asked for better weather for the new grass. Good temps and plenty of rain. Just hoping we don't have too brutal of a summer.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 2nd, 2021, 12:04 am

I respectfully disagree. I think you'll be back with "What do I do about the crabgrass?" in a month, and fall into a pattern of fighting wars that are already lost for the balance of the season. I'd save that plain 2,4-D for the Fall or another use and start winning some battles you don't even know that you're fighting. In June, you can use a good 4-way product (with Quinclorac) and get the crabgrass before it rears it ugly head. It's a SOB to kill once it's mature. July and August are the wrong times to fight weeds - especially without irrigation.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2021, 3:39 am

Or that. You're talking to the person who uses Tenacity for almost everything because I'm too lazy to walk back for the Weed B Gon. :-)

JeffreyLebowski
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre

Post by JeffreyLebowski » June 2nd, 2021, 9:00 am

Speaking of crabgrass, I saw some breaking through the prodiamine at my MILs house yesterday. I am hitting it with quinclorac today. I haven’t seen it in my yard (yet).