Disease question

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Brian M
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Disease question

Post by Brian M » June 1st, 2021, 7:30 pm

Hello all. I have a few patches of this yellowing going on. I just overseeded last fall and am hoping it was just too much seed in some areas and some are dying off, but now I’m not too sure. It’s a northern mix, but appears to be effecting the tttf and not the prg or kbg. Any suggestions?

My zip code is 10594 if you need to know my area

Thanks in advance for the help!

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: Disease question

Post by rxrep » June 1st, 2021, 8:03 pm

I'm no expert but that definitely looks like a fungus disease to me. If I had to take an educated guess, I would say it is Leaf spot/melting out. Also, those blades you took a pic of look too narrow to me to be tttf. So, are you sure it's just affecting the tttf? Either way, if it is Ls/mo then I can vouch for azoxystrobin. Good luck.

Brian M
Grass Type: TTTF/KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Brian M » June 1st, 2021, 8:07 pm

Thanks for the response. I cannot say it’s only tttf.. as I said it’s new grass from last fall so could maybe be just young. But it doesn’t look like it’s on the kbg.. after researching on interweb I’d guess it’s leaf spot too. I’ll look into that product you mentioned.

Thanks for the help

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by rxrep » June 3rd, 2021, 7:42 am

When it comes to fungicides and azoxystrobin you can find generics. They're not cheap but definitely cheaper than the brand. Azoxy is a great broad spectrum fungicide. Use it 2 to 3 weeks apart in terms of applications and I believe they advise not to use more than two applications in a row without using another fungicide with a different mechanism of action. I use a liquid concentrate that I spray. I believe Scotts came out with a granular product with azoxy in it a few years ago and you can probably find that at Lowe's or Home Depot. BTW, without preventative measures, count on seeing the leaf spot every year. If you keep a lawn diary, you'll know when it appears every year and you can apply azoxy as a preventative like a week before. Good Luck.