How fast does your KBG grow?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Experienced

How fast does your KBG grow?

Post by northeastlawn » June 2nd, 2021, 7:36 pm

I am still trying to get a hang of when my KBG is growing at full stream.

I have a 4 year old KBG lawn, made up of midnight, bewitched, blueberry, and prosperity. It seemed to green up early thanks to last years fall fertilizer program, but even now it's not really growing very fast. I had a ton of seed heads that are just now turning yellow and drying up. I have been watering an 1" a week, and dropped BSF at 10#/K on May 14th. We have had a bunch of warmish days, but I still get the impression its growing very slowly compared with the rest of the neighborhood. My soil is very good loam, based on my soil tests.

I guess my question is, should I be in full on spring flush mode right now?

How many inches a week does KBG typically grow under normal fertilizing?

I mostly care because I want to get my HOC to be 3-1/2" by July, but by the way its growing now, it just seems like its not peaking yet. I'd like to cut low again to take care of the dried out seed heads, but don't want to mess up my chances at reaching 3" for July.

BTW: I also dropped 20#/k of BSF today, but dont expect that to work its way in for a few weeks.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: How fast does your KBG grow?

Post by MorpheusPA » June 2nd, 2021, 8:58 pm

Mine's not growing much at all and didn't this spring. I've done (counting as I record it)...three and a half mows this year. Total. First partial mow was April 10th. Second full mow was April 24th. Third full mow was May 1st. I did a part mow May 27th just before rainfall that knocked off some seed heads.

It's starting to need mowing again, but not very much. I wouldn't say I saw much spring flush this year; it was too dry. This is normal during dry years. But I'm seeing a banner year for seed heads, which are again rampant across the lawn.

Don't worry about your seed heads. They're not viable. And if they are, they likely won't take hold. If they do, it's no big deal. Let it go to 3" or, like me, just leave it at 3" year 'round.

PALawnGuy5
Grass Type: Fescue, KBG
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by PALawnGuy5 » June 2nd, 2021, 9:42 pm

3.5?? Maybe I need to switch to KBG. I've mowed my lawn 10 times already, starting April 18th.

The first few cuts I ran at 3". Ever since i've brought it up to 3.5" trying to choke out the triv. I do agree - I have never seen as many seed heads as we have this year. They are everywhere, every kind.

JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by JeffreyLebowski » June 2nd, 2021, 10:35 pm

My lawn is a mix of KBG and TTTF. The KBG in particular is not growing much this year, especially in my full sun area that I reseeded last fall. The TTTF is growing much faster.

Agree on the seedhead activity. I have a ton of it, all kinds.

Masbustelo
Grass Type: Mazama KBG
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by Masbustelo » June 4th, 2021, 4:36 am

We have had quite a bit of cool rainy weather and I've been mowing Mazama every 3-4 days lately. The Mazama was sown last August and so far zero seed heads. I don't know if that reflects it's relative immaturity, varietal genetics or maybe drought triggers a seedhead survival mode.

JHazzardB
Grass Type: Front Yard: KBG blend. Back Bewitched/Nuglade
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by JHazzardB » June 4th, 2021, 2:33 pm

My mutt of a KBG yard has been growing almost 4" per week. Currently trying to keep the HOC at 3.5" and I'm having to mow twice a weeks to keep it that low. I think I've run my sprinklers once or twice this spring but we've received a lot of good soaking rains so far. Had very little in the way of seed heads this year.