KBG or Tall Fescue in California (Visalia)

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
KaleW
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

KBG or Tall Fescue in California (Visalia)

Post by KaleW » June 3rd, 2021, 12:57 am

Hey all!

Its been a long time since I have posted. I was a somewhat active member (under username kalepatrick) several years ago, but kids, life, and moving overseas for awhile drug me away. That said, I have continued to lurk all this time. Back in the day, I had about about 7k of bewitched (and a couple other cultivars i don't remember) that i reno'd in the far north chicago-land and turned it into a pretty fine lawn. Fast forward to today, I just purchased a home in Visalia, CA that is in desperate need of lawn TLC. Grass types here are mostly burmuda or TTTF. I don't want to go burmuda, so a cool season grass is in my future, but I am not quite sure if i want to settle with TTTF or give a wag at KBG.

From June - September it is more than likey to be over 100 than below 90 for a daily high temp, with stretches in the 110-115 for a week or two not uncommon. Nights usually cool into the 60's but might not get below the 70 degree mark during a particularly hot stretch.

Winter has highs in the 50's+ most days, with nights rarely cracking freezing.

The front yard sees about 3/4 sun, the back yard 1/4 - 1/2 (though the trees are trimmed up nice and high, so not super dense shade).

Last comment, unlike the normal transition zone, I have pretty low (15-20%) humidity, so at least i many not have as much disease pressure as them Virgina/NC folks.

Any thoughts on if there is a chance that the shade could help the KBG survive the heat, or am i destined to be researching TTTFs on NTEP?

I thought back and forth of this should be here or the reno forum. Mod's, please feel free to push to Reno if appropriate. I will update with pictures soon.

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Re: KGB or Tall Fescue in California (Visalia)

Post by rxrep » June 3rd, 2021, 7:46 am

First just commenting on your title. I believe the KGB is a Russian spy agency. I think you meant KBG? :P Secondly, in my opinion your summer is just too hot for KBG. Best KBG for the shade though is Mazama.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Re: KBG or Tall Fescue in California (Visalia)

Post by andy10917 » June 3rd, 2021, 7:51 am

I fixed the title for you.

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Post by MorpheusPA » June 3rd, 2021, 2:41 pm

I liked the title, personally. I felt dangerous and edgy for once in my life.

KaleW
Grass Type: Tall Fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by KaleW » June 4th, 2021, 2:26 pm

Andy, thanks for the title fix.

I know some of the transition folks can baby KBG through the summers and I am hoping there is a fellow California Central Valley KBG nut who might have tried this before and confirm if it can be achieved. I appreciate what I want is on the boardline of un-doable, and certainly is crazy (between heat and shade). I have toy'd with the idea of doing a couple of test plots and seeing if they can make it, but would need to source very small quantities of a few varieties. (If it works, I also hate the idea that i wasted a year of having a KBG lawn).

I had pretty good success of managing my prior KBG lawn through similar (though perhaps slightly less extreme) shade in Illinois, so I wasn't as concerned there. Honestly, I was hoping someone would tell me that because of the heat, that the shade would be a benefit :)

Perhaps I focus on planning for TTTF for the time being, put in a couple KBG test plots, and see what happens.

I have an unknown amount of work ahead of me getting my soil right (samples will go off to LL in the near future) and figuring out how the different weather here will impact timing of lawn maintenance/fert/etc

Open to any other thoughts/opinions/advice!!