Weed, ID Please

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Turk
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Weed, ID Please

Post by Turk » June 3rd, 2021, 10:16 am

I put down Dimension during the forsythia bloom. Base of the triangle approach (Ortho WBG) and second layer (Ortho WBG CCO) have served me well (2nd application of Ortho WBG CCO yesterday).

One holdout is this small but persistent weed that last season owned much of my front yard before the fall renovation. Odd, it seems the base Ortho WBG killed some of it last month, but the rest has either survived or else reappeared elsewhere to replace its fallen bretheren (I'm imagining a whack-a-mole tactic). Can't use any more Ortho WBG, I'm at the annual limit.

I've also started seeing these things pop up around a section of the front yard: is this crabgrass or a sedge?

Thanks, Turk

BIGDADDY13
Grass Type: KBG and Fescue
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Re: Weed, ID Please

Post by BIGDADDY13 » June 3rd, 2021, 12:14 pm

I had some of the top pic early last year and it died off when the heat of summer hit it. Only a little came back this year. Seeing my yard is huge, I can't actively put out every little fire (it also borders a cow pasture that has every known weed on it...). I do the best i can keeping the big issues at bay (mostly clover and crabgrass). I can live with most of the other stuff.

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » June 4th, 2021, 12:30 am

I think the first one is speedwell. It's easy to kill with 2,4d as long as the daily high temperatures are below 80 (85? It should say on thes label).

Trying to control it by hand pulling is futile.

Turk

Post by Turk » June 4th, 2021, 2:38 pm

Thanks, bpgreen.

Is there an alternative to 2.4D (I've reached the max annual limit of 2 apps/yr)?

bpgreen
Grass Type: Western, Streambank, Crested wheatgrass in front (with blue grama added in the heckstrips), sheep fescue in back; strawberry clovetr in both
Lawn Size: 3000-5000
Level: Experienced

Post by bpgreen » June 5th, 2021, 10:54 pm

Turk wrote:
June 4th, 2021, 2:38 pm
Thanks, bpgreen.

Is there an alternative to 2.4D (I've reached the max annual limit of 2 apps/yr)?
I think there are alternatives, but I mostly quit using chemicals to kill weeds in favor of hand pulling (or weed hound pulling). But that didn't work with speedwell.

Turk

Post by Turk » June 6th, 2021, 3:58 pm

Right now I'm thinking of using quinclorac (Drive XLR8) from DoMyOwn.com - bonus that it controls crabgrass as well.

My guess is the second picture is nutsedge, so I'm thinking Sedgehammer (Halosulfuron) or Ortho's nutsedge killer

Turk

Post by Turk » July 10th, 2021, 1:41 pm

Could someone please help me identify the weed in the second picture of the original post (extra pics of the same weed below)? I tried hitting with one application of Halosulfuron but the application didn't do anything. (I applied Dimension in the spring, and Prodiamine on July 1).

Could it be Dallisgrass? If so, what can I do?

https://extension.umd.edu/resource/dallisgrass

Turk

Post by Turk » July 10th, 2021, 2:15 pm

Last question (I Promise!!!)

I don't think this is Asiatic Dayflower, it's starting to form a few pink blooms on the right of the picture (not blue).

https://extension.umd.edu/resource/asiatic-dayflower

hazard209
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, TTTF Mix
Lawn Size: < 1000

Post by hazard209 » July 10th, 2021, 6:31 pm

The grassy weed looks like dallisgrass to me. I had some in my lawn and I just nuked it with roundup. It was starting to spread and nothing I threw at it would kill it. The other weed looks like some kind of knotweed, maybe smartweed?

Turk

Post by Turk » July 11th, 2021, 2:12 pm

Thanks, Hazard, I'll try hitting both with Triclopyr 8% (Ortho CCO) every 2 weeks for about 2-3 times to see if that takes care of it (want to avoid RoundUp)