Red thread

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
ChrisT03
Grass Type: Northern Mix
Lawn Size: 1000-3000
Level: Novice

Red thread

Post by ChrisT03 » June 4th, 2021, 7:07 pm

I’ve been dealing with red thread for the past 2 years now. Unfortunately, I didn’t put fungicide down until after it appeared (stupid). Last year I used Scott’s disease ex and this year bayer fungicide. None of these seemed to work and I still have brown patches with little red thread at the top of the blades. I know there are a few options that are a bit pricey, but I’d really rather not spend a lot of money unless I have no choice. Anyone have any experience with getting rid of red thread? Any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. TIA

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Red thread

Post by MorpheusPA » June 5th, 2021, 12:18 am

Red thread, in and of itself, is not usually fatal. It just looks horrible. It hates nitrogen, so if you haven't fed the lawn for spring yet, you still have the time to do so (and even if it were late, I'd say to do it). Just make sure to irrigate that in well with the warm weather.

It also hates heat, so it should subside under the incoming broiling temperatures.

DiseaseEx is usually an OK choice, so I'm surprised it didn't do something, at least. Bayer Advanced Fungus Control should also be another excellent choice here.

rxrep
Grass Type: Midnight KBG
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by rxrep » June 5th, 2021, 7:32 am

Fungal diseases are best dealt with on a preventative basis rather than curative which you probably already know. In that regard I have learned over the years to keep a lawn diary so that I know what time of year diseases begin to appear on my Midnight monostand ( rust and leaf spot/melting out). This year I started a fungicide program where I apply the appropriate fungicide about a week before the usual emergence of disease. Here is a link to the guide that I use regarding diseases and fungicides.
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agcomm/pubs/ppa/ppa1/ppa1.pdf
Click on it and scroll down to the red thread section (Pgs. 27-28). It appears from an efficacy standpoint, Azoxystrobin works the best. There are generics available that are not too expensive. You can look at the label in terms of how much you apply in 1 gal./1000 sq ft of turf. It's not much. It probably runs about $5 per 1000 sq ft of turf depending on how much you pay for the Azoxy. Also Scotts makes a granular product with Azoxy in it that you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot. Good Luck.

rxrep

Post by rxrep » June 5th, 2021, 7:41 am

I forgot to also say that in the red thread section it offers this non-fungicide option if you want to try that first. It says the following: "A recent
field study also showed excellent curative recovery from an application of 1 lb urea/1,000 sq ft, without application of fungicide".

ChrisT03

Post by ChrisT03 » June 6th, 2021, 1:38 pm

Thank you so much!

I actually started a lawn diary this year. I will def stay on top of it for next year. Thanks for the case study. I will read up.

That urea app sounds interesting. Would this be ok to apply in the summer? I have already put down milo with my micronutrients about a week ago.

rxrep

Post by rxrep » June 6th, 2021, 10:03 pm

The hot summertime is definitely not the best time of year for the synthetic fertilizers, but with that said I'm not sure if the urea during the summer will hurt. It's definitely high nitrogen, so its not ideal. I'd probably do the fungicide instead.

Paul
Grass Type: Bewitched KBG Monostand

Post by Paul » June 7th, 2021, 11:39 am

ChrisT03 wrote:
June 4th, 2021, 7:07 pm
Anyone have any experience with getting rid of red thread?
I got rid of my red thread that came back every year no matter what preventative fungicides I applied - I blew up my lawn and planted Bewitched! No more red thread, problem solved.

I know this seems excessive, but depending on the age of your lawn, the new cultivars are so much better for diseases. I got sick of looking at red thread every spring no matter what I did, and even when it went away, the red patches turned brown and never looked good until the fall. I believe the fine fescue was the worst offender.

The difference between a Bewitched Monostand and a typical northern mix is like night and day.

Good luck.

northeastlawn
Grass Type: KBG

Post by northeastlawn » June 7th, 2021, 4:04 pm

I traded the red thread for dried up KBG seed heads that look the same to me :-)

I guess there is always something, I still deal with red thread in the FF in the front. I recently noticed how good the bewitched KBG in the FF mix I used is doing and spreading. I am very tempted to kill it off and go with Bewitched KBG after your post.

Do I really want to do another project?

The neighbors are going to think I'm nuts!

ChrisT03

Post by ChrisT03 » June 7th, 2021, 9:49 pm

Would overseeding In the fall with the bewitched kbg be effective?

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 7th, 2021, 9:56 pm

Not really, and you could make things worse. Adding Bewitched to a Northern Mix is going to make a Northern Mix with Bewitched lawn. If the lawn is reasonable thick/dense, you could make it crowded, which is a recipe for additional/increased fungal disease.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 7th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Well, it's true I haven't seen red thread since I went elite bluegrass either.

You get powdery mildew in fall instead. Sometimes rust. Neither problematic, but they're definitely there...

ChrisT03

Post by ChrisT03 » June 8th, 2021, 10:22 pm

Thanks everyone. I’m going to try the Scott’s disease ex since I haven’t had luck with the bayer, and it seems from research that the azoxystorbin works best for red thread.

Andy- would any over-seeding run the risk of overcrowding? Can you recommend a different brand of seed to use. My lawn currently is a northern mix.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre

Post by andy10917 » June 9th, 2021, 12:23 am

Andy- would any over-seeding run the risk of overcrowding?
Of course it will. Unless the new seed buys the existing grass a one-way ticket to Vegas, where else would it go?
Can you recommend a different brand of seed to use. My lawn currently is a northern mix.
It was nothing to do with "brands". "Bewitched" is a cultivar of Kentucky Blue Grass. "Elite Types" often have the best color, or disease resistance, Spring Greenup time, and blah, blah, blah. You pick 1-3 of them and take the strengths and weaknesses that come with the cultivar(s). You're not going to find "Bewitched" at Home Depot or Lowes.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 9th, 2021, 3:12 am

andy10917 wrote:
June 9th, 2021, 12:23 am
Of course it will. Unless the new seed buys the existing grass a one-way ticket to Vegas, where else would it go?
Cincinnati is lovely this time of year, and cheaper than Sin City.