Newly hydroseeded lawn during a heatwave

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
MinnLaker
Grass Type: bluegrass, fescue
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Newly hydroseeded lawn during a heatwave

Post by MinnLaker » June 8th, 2021, 12:57 pm

Hello everyone. I'm a new member but have enjoyed reading posts for awhile. Thanks for the addition. I have a question. I'm in Minnesota and my wife has been asking if we could get our backwoods lot around our house tilled up and hydroseeded for awhile now. We finally had it done a week ago. We're in the middle of a heatwave, high 90s, and I asked the pro we hired to do it if we should not just wait until fall. He responded we should be fine, IF we water diligently. Just keep it moist all the time he told me with frequent waterings each day. But now I'm reading on the internet from different sources that watering during such extreme heat could actually shock and kill the seed? Conflicted on what to do so I've only been watering when I have shade on the lawn or early mornings and evenings so the lawn isn't saturated in the heat and sun. I'm seeing some good results in areas that are partially shaded during the day but not so much the ones in full sun. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

MorpheusPA
Grass Type: Elite KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Advanced

Re: Newly hydroseeded lawn during a heatwave

Post by MorpheusPA » June 8th, 2021, 1:18 pm

Watering during heat won't shock or kill seed; it's required. However, seed may not sprout during extreme heat, either. Just keep watering.

"Damp at all times" would be absolutely perfect, and it's also almost impossible. But that's the target. Usually, three times a day watering is great, even in the sunny areas. Shaded can often tolerate being watered twice, but may require three times in very hot weather.

At one week, you should be seeing the fescue sprouting. The bluegrass can take up to three weeks. Unfortunately, you'll probably have to water through summer pretty heavily, which can cause fungal issues, as the new lawn won't be able to develop deep roots fast enough. Try to water in the mornings as it develops, and back off to daily and every other day waterings at weeks four (or so, if it's sprouted fully--in the heat it may not), and six or so (ditto) if you can.

MinnLaker

Post by MinnLaker » June 8th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Thanks! Appreciate the insight. In hindsight, I would have waited until Fall. But, it was hard enough to get the guy to come out to do the job. Landscapers and seeders are swamped around here. He was one of few that would actually give me a bid. And he mainly does big commercial jobs like schools and golf courses.

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 8th, 2021, 5:35 pm

That's understandable. Yep, late summer (mid-August) would have been better, but you do what you can. You may end up having to reseed a bit at that time, which would be completely normal for a June seeding.

MinnLaker

Post by MinnLaker » June 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm

Thanks. Yeah. I've lost 10 lbs in one week watering. My wife hates me. Too much moving sprinklers around. I ordered some cheapo hoses and 3 more good impact tripod sprinklers that should be here by Friday. I'll have four of those now be able to cover much more ground at once. I plan to water a lot this Summer. We are on a lake and I've thought of getting a pump but we're up on a bluff so it might be more difficult. Will probably keep drawing on the well as my water source.

BTW, the cheapo hoses, hoping they'll last the Summer. I bought several heavy duty ones last week but I need more options so I'm not walking across the hydroseed so much, etc. Ideally we would have done in ground system but not in the budget cards and most of our yard is so shaded it will do well in infrequent waterings overall when shaded.

Thanks again! 90s and high 80s the next few weeks with one day of rain in the forecast. Oof!

DevilDawg81
Grass Type: KBG, PRG, Fescue mix
Lawn Size: 2 acre-5 acre
Level: Some Experience

Post by DevilDawg81 » June 8th, 2021, 8:41 pm

You may want to look into and/or invest in timers. They’re not necessary, but extremely handy to set and not have to worry about running in and out to shut water on/off.

I’ve made a dozen of these sprinklers. They’re Orbit heads on pvc stands. I have these connected to timers and can mobilize them where needed. Once they’re all in place, I only make adjustments where needed and the watering is all done without me scrambling around.

pristinegreen75
Grass Type: Bluegrass in back, Northern mix in front
Lawn Size: 5000-10000
Level: Experienced

Post by pristinegreen75 » June 8th, 2021, 9:24 pm

DevilDawg81 wrote:
June 8th, 2021, 8:41 pm
You may want to look into and/or invest in timers. They’re not necessary, but extremely handy to set and not have to worry about running in and out to shut water on/off.

I’ve made a dozen of these sprinklers. They’re Orbit heads on pvc stands. I have these connected to timers and can mobilize them where needed. Once they’re all in place, I only make adjustments where needed and the watering is all done without me scrambling around.

+1 I made 3 of those very similar to yours DevilDawg! I used Hunter heads though. They do a fantastic job

MorpheusPA

Post by MorpheusPA » June 9th, 2021, 12:07 am

I used Rainbird heads, but...same thing, and riser sleds. You can get pipe thread risers with hose thread inputs pretty easily online.

I use those in spot spray apps when I don't (and I usually don't) want to use my irrigation system.