Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Farmerdave60
Grass Type: Fesue KBG rye
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Sun and shade grass mixture/seed

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 16th, 2021, 7:41 pm

Hello,

I wanted to get your opinion on the best grass seed for sun and shade lawns. My lawn is alittle different than most.. I have a lot of big trees scattered in the yard that provide shade during certain parts of the day and then those shade spots then turn sunny and vice versa.

Basically these parts of the yard get probably 60% sun/40% shade or 50% sun/50% shade.

I slit seeded these parts of the yard with tall fescue blends last fall and im noticing some spots have matted down patches of grass that look like they have trouble standing up almost like they aren’t getting enough sun perhaps.

Anyway was hoping the experts on this forum could point me in the right direction of a good sun/shade quality mix of seed that may be the solution to what I am seeing in the fescue. I believe I used the GCI tall fescue brand in these areas last season.

Dave

JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF
Lawn Size: 20000-1 acre
Level: Some Experience

Re: Sun and shade grass mixture/seed

Post by JeffreyLebowski » June 16th, 2021, 10:08 pm

Is it possible the matted areas are poa that you resurrected with the slit seeder? That happened to me this year. I slit seeded/aerated with sod quality 90/10 TTTF/KBG last fall, and then this spring I had some patches of lime green poa (probably triv). I killed some spots and reseeded, but others I didnt get to ended up turning darker green but flopped over and thinned out.

Farmerdave60

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 18th, 2021, 11:06 am

It’s possible I’ll have to see if I can identify if it’s poa it looks to be thin fescue but will provide some pictures soon. Looking to see what is one of the better types of sun and shade seed mix for the ratio I am getting. Pics coming soon

Farmerdave60

Post by Farmerdave60 » June 20th, 2021, 2:50 pm

I know it’s hard to tell but these are some of the small areas that seem matted down and get about 50/50 sun shade. Could be just areas that need attention with more seeding, I am not quite sure. Thanks for any suggestions on what to do.

Dave

Coop_V
Grass Type: Tall Fescue

Post by Coop_V » June 21st, 2021, 10:47 am

It seems like it's real patchy. How long has it looked like this. Was it thick and full at a different time of year? Might need to get a little closer to inspect for fungus or insect issues.

JeffreyLebowski
Grass Type: TTTF

Post by JeffreyLebowski » June 21st, 2021, 7:24 pm

I have areas similar to the first and third pics that I think are poa. Not sure which poa but they were lime green in the spring, and then flopped over and thinned out.