Pyrimisulfan for Yellow Nutsedge

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
merrimack
Grass Type: Midnight, Award, Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

Pyrimisulfan for Yellow Nutsedge

Post by merrimack » July 6th, 2021, 7:00 pm

I have been rotating between halosulfuron, sulfentrazone, and mesotrione in a multiyear process to get yellow nutsedge under control. I started the regimen again this May when the nutsedge was visible but before it was really growing in earnest. Starting earlier this year seems to have made a big difference.

Is pyrimisulfan worth adding to the arsenal? It comes in a granular format that I was considering using on sedge to avoid drift onto the garden adjacent to the lawn. It seems to be much more expensive, but I would consider paying extra for peace of mind.

merrimack
Grass Type: Midnight, Award, Bewitched KBG
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Experienced

UPDATE Pyrimisulfan for Yellow Nutsedge

Post by merrimack » June 10th, 2022, 5:37 pm

I applied pyrimisulfan in mid-May. It seems to have killed almost all of the remaining yellow nutsedge. It took two to three weeks to see results.

There are just a few plants left that I can spot spray with another product. It was expensive but it was effective. We’ve had a lot of windy days this spring and not many clear and calm days to spray.

Having a granular option was a good option for me. I wish I had taken before and after pictures.