Triclopyr Ester Crushed my Clover!

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
bazilbrush
Grass Type: Dead
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Triclopyr Ester Crushed my Clover!

Post by bazilbrush » July 11th, 2021, 8:38 pm

Triclopyr Ester: This stuff did an amazing job getting rid of my clover!

Last season I tried Bonide CCO Killer, it barely made a dent. Earlier this season I tried Tenacity (I fell for the youtube promotions touting it as a pro clover killer) and this also achieved very little. 2 weeks ago I had clover everywhere, out in full flower, attracting bees, the whole 9 yards. Then I hit it with Triclopyr Ester (I used 2oz in a 4 gallon tank with 6oz surfactant, my lawn took 2 tanks to get round), it destroyed 90pc of it on the first application. I just went round again to get rid of any remaining patches. I just wish I had come across this sooner.

Thanks to the forums here for mentioning it, I'm not sure I would have come across it otherwise.

NutterButter
Grass Type: Rye grass
Level: Some Experience

Re: Triclopyr Ester Crushed my Clover!

Post by NutterButter » July 12th, 2021, 5:28 pm

I used it for the 1st time this year as well and had the same results as you. Its definitely more economical than the weed b gone cco. Tenacity is great for certain things, but its always my poison of last resort due to the hideous whitening that occurs.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 18th, 2021, 11:14 pm

Bonide CCO isn't even equal to Ortho's green bottle Triclopyr amine...it has very little Triclopyr in it. I know from trying it early on and wondering why it did little.

As far ester versus amine, I, too find the ester more effective. But it's not a sensible choice in hot weather like we have right now. At the very least, if you're set on using it in the Summer despite the cautions, it should at the very least ideally be used when temps are in the 70s during application, and forecast to not go above the low 80s for several days.

I did the ester last month as my first app, carefully, and am following up with the safer amine this week. Ester is great for cool weather use.

Green
Grass Type: KBG, TTTF, TTPR, and FF (various mixtures)
Level: Experienced

Post by Green » July 19th, 2021, 10:34 pm

Update: I mixed my Triclopyr amine today to spray as a second app (mixing at 1/4 label rate to compensate for the tendency to use too low a spray volume in a spot spray). I couldn't find a lot of the clover from last time. Apparently the first app (using the ester) got rid of a lot of it. That said, I have no doubt some will be back in the Fall, as usual.