Sedgehammer in the summer?

Kentucky bluegrass, Fescue, Rye and Bent, etc
Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Lawn Size: 10000-20000
Level: Some Experience

Sedgehammer in the summer?

Post by Adam_M » July 12th, 2021, 10:16 pm

I've got a fair amount of what I think is sedge (it has a triangular stalk) but isn't nutsedge ( no nutlets and it pulls out fairly easily), mostly in areas that are starting to go dormant and likely a bit stressed.

I checked the sedgehammer label and if there was a temperature limit, I didn't see it. Is it ok to put down now?

There's other weeds that in waiting for cooler temperatures to deal with but if I can knock out this sedge while it seems very active I'd like to knock it out sooner than later.

Adam_M
Grass Type: Midnight, Bewitched, Prosperity
Level: Some Experience

Re: Sedgehammer in the summer?

Post by Adam_M » July 12th, 2021, 10:18 pm

*sedgehammer that is. Autocorrect, sorry. If a mod can change the subject, it would probably make more sense.

andy10917
Grass Type: Emblem KBG (Front); Blueberry KBG Monostand (Back)
Lawn Size: 1 acre-2 acre
Level: Advanced

Post by andy10917 » July 12th, 2021, 10:29 pm

Fixed, as requested

ken-n-nancy
Grass Type: Front: KBG (Bewitched+Prosperity); Side: Bewitched KBG; Back: Fine Fescue Blend + Prosperity
Level: Experienced

Post by ken-n-nancy » July 12th, 2021, 10:52 pm

A few thoughts...

If it is a grass-like plant with a triangular stem, and grows faster than your lawn, then it probably is a sedge. The definitive way to identify a sedge is the triangular stem, just above the roots and before the leaves all separate from the stem. You can feel this by rolling the stem in your fingers or by cutting a cross-section of the stem. See the photo below for a cut cross-section of the stem. (Photo from the nutsedge page at Michigan State University: https://www.canr.msu.edu/resources/yellow_nutsedge)

I have found that juvenile nutsedge plants which grew from seed (rather than from nutlets of mature plants) are easy to pull out by hand (having a shallow root system) and don't have nutlets yet.

I have never used the SedgeHammer product, but have used Bonide Sedge Ender, which I think has a different active ingredient. I know that when I previously used Sedge Ender, I had trouble with damage to desirable grasses. Sedge Ender also contains a pre-emergent (prodiamine) to help prevent germination of any sedge seeds in the soil -- however, that limits one's ability to reseed the area if needed.

Personally, if the patch of sedge is small enough that you can hand-pull it, I'd suggest taking that approach, rather than purchasing the specialty product. I never had a true "infestation" of sedge, other than a couple small areas (each about 2' x 5' in size) so hand-pulling worked well. It also appeared to be juvenile yellow nutsedge (pulled easily with shallow roots and didn't have nutlets) so I didn't have trouble with massive amounts coming back afterwards. Given that it grows faster than the lawn, it's also very easy to spot just before (or while) mowing, making it easy to identify and hand-pull.

Jackson
Grass Type: Cool Northern
Lawn Size: Not Specified
Level: Not Specified

Post by Jackson » July 14th, 2021, 3:32 pm

Ive only had nutsedge pop up in the summer. So that is when I treat it.

Never used sedgehammer - only sulfentrazone. If you don't have a lot, just pull it - I know people on this site will say it doesn't work to pull - but trust me, nothing has worked as well on nutsedge as yanking them.